Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this everywhere, and i have yet to come up with the solution.

Yesterday i was out riding with a friend on my '95 ZR580, and about 10 miles or so in, it started acting up. It started out as just bogging and getting loaded up, but you could clear it out on a straightaway. After we got to a certain section of the trails, you could get it to move at about 10mph or so, but you couldnt get above that speed @ 5,000RPM's. At first i thought i could clear it out again, but it refused to run faster than that. This went on for another 500 feet or so, then it got so bad it wouldnt even move. I turned it around and limped home at 10mph, WOT and smoking like cheech and chong. I made it home ok, but it refused to go over 10mph until i came to the backside of a hill where it picked up speed and finally "cleared out". As soon as i reached my driveway after slowing down, it bogged out as usual. I took it completely apart a few times, and this is what i've done.

-The carbs were iced, so i pulled them completely apart and cleaned them.
-I cleared out the airbox and sealed off where snow was leaking in to prevent freezing again
-Started it, tried to make it run, but the same problem came up again.
~~~~~
-Put two brand new BR9ES plugs in it
-New premium fuel with half a shot glass of drygas
-Dissassembed the primary and secondary, seemed ok.
-Found the secondary wasnt spun the full 120* to tighten the spring, but it was re-wound and reassembled.
-Checked the choke cables, found they worked properly.
-Put it all back together, tried to run it, and it ran around the yard once and drove like usual, but died after i found the gas was off and the spark plugs were slightly loose. I tightened the plugs and turned the gas back on, and it went back to bogging.
~~~~~
-Disassembed the carbs again, found the float level was incorrect, cleaned all the jets again, re-set the floats, and re-assembled the carbs.
-Re-installed the carbs, still bogs out.

I'm at wits end and cant seem to find the problem. It runs very well at idle and up until engagement, but as soon as there is a load on the track or drivetrain, it bogs and hardly moves. It smokes excessively (like a Ski-Doo :tongue_nana: ) and seems like it isnt making power. When it's up on the stand it runs normally and has no problem spinning the track.

Could it be the coil? Maybe the stator is shot? Is the CDI box on its way out? I'm not an expert when it comes to wiring, but i do know for a fact that the previous owner cut the WOT sensor and "eliminated it" from the wiring.

I have ran this sled all week before yesterday with minimal problems. I have ran it to top speed and back, around the trials, and with friends for 3 days before this started happening. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be???

Thanks in advance for any leads or advice-
Chris
Rockerdude

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
reeds? my zr6 had a similar problem ended up i was missing a petal and it was just dumping fuel

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
my bad... mikeyslap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 28 2007, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
TSS switch?[/b]
The what? :huh:
The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) i think is what you meant, and i have no idea how to check it. There are 3 wires coming out of the throttle on the bars, all 3 are cut. bang your head

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
My guess would be stator. CDI and Coil aren't likely to be intermittent. Another possibility is your throttle safety bypass could be coming apart. I just went through both of these things first hand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think i found the problem, it might be the fuel pump.

When i bypassed all the safety switches and stops to the motor, it ran as usual (thus, none of the switches are at fault). I accidentally left the fuel shut off, but strangely enough, the motor ran mint until it ran out of fuel. I exparamented with this, and to my great surprise, you could ride it around just above engagement and cruise, but as soon as you go to get on it it bogs out. I put the fuel on only 1/3 of the way and it ran better, but still bogged out slightly. I'm ordering a few fuel pump from a local shop, if my suspicious are correct, the fuel pump is the culprit by forcing too much fuel to the carbs. :devil_angry:

Has this happened to anyone before? Thanks for the help guys! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I can't see how a faulty fuel pump could pump too much fuel. Maybe if the fuel pump has a leaky diaphragm fuel can flow back down the impulse line, into the crankcase, causing the engine to flood. A severly flooded engine with stall at idle and very difficult to start, will foul the plugs and smoke a lot and be very low on power.

You said all the wires from the TSS (Throttle Safety Switch) were cut? These sleds had a normally open ignition circuit ( I believe it is normally open, not normally closed), which requires the TSS bypass to use a jumper, unless the magnet sensors on the carbs have been eliminated. Cutting all three wires should eliminate the kill swtich as well.

The problems you describe do seem consistent with stator failure, but you also mentioned iced up carbs, which can choke off the fuel before it runs lean for long enough to burn down. What are you running for jetting? What do your spark plugs look like, the old ones, not the new ones? Make sure your choke plungers are fully seated and functioning properly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It most likley is not pumping too much to the carbs. But you are on the right path. It probbaly is a blown diaphram in the fuel pump. This is causing too much fuel to be sucked in to the crank case via the impulse line and flooding out one cylinder. I have had it happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.