Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, the thundercat has taken victim #3 in the belt department. There is something seriously wrong here and iam clueless as to what it could be, dealer told me to install a clutch kit so i put in a EPI kit for 27-28" tires for 6000feet after eatting the second belt. Had it out today for 2hrs MAX and it destoryed another one!! BRAND NEW! has anyone ever been thru this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
You need new clutch springs. i had this happen to a Polaris I had and looked just like yours. Once I put the new springs in it cured it. the bad thing about my story was I was riding on the hatfield/mccoy trails in VW and I went down a red and black trail. At the bottom of the trail is when my belt went! I had 2 choices. One I push it 25 miles up and down mountains, two I get winched back up that red and black trail. I took option 2 and let me tell ya I dont care who you are that will kill you lol.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Oh and another thing to do is check for any burs where the belt rides on. if you have a bur where the belt can catch that will roll your belt as well and cause this

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do these clutch plates look normal?

·
Registered
435 Posts
do these clutch plates look normal?

I havent looked at my thundercats plates but I do believe they should be smooth. What the heck is the ripple on there for!!!!???? Did you try to pull something heavy and had the belt burn at some point? that would cause the metal to get hot and cause a ripple like that. I really think you have a bad plates.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Your clutch sheeves are toast. They should not have those grooves wore in them. It's from driving at one speed a lot. The belt heats up and grooves the clutch. Check your secondary also. You WILL NOT keep a belt on with that clutch....period. It's only a matter of time before that thing grenades. I've got a complete primary clutch from my Thundercat I would sell if you want. It has Airdam stage 1 machining on it also. PM me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent looked at my thundercats plates but I do believe they should be smooth. What the heck is the ripple on there for!!!!???? Did you try to pull something heavy and had the belt burn at some point? that would cause the metal to get hot and cause a ripple like that. I really think you have a bad plates.

Donno, this is what iam thinking thats causing the problem. i never noticed it until this time around. i was sure they are suppose to be smooth but was sure. like i said 3 belts 4 rides around 50-80km a ride. clutch has a brand new EPI kit installed right from the Wet clutch to the secondary spring.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Donno, this is what iam thinking thats causing the problem. i never noticed it until this time around. i was sure they are suppose to be smooth but was sure. like i said 3 belts 4 rides around 50-80km a ride. clutch has a brand new EPI kit installed right from the Wet clutch to the secondary spring.

Check a couple of posts up. I gave you a link to see what semi normal sheaves look like. Like 21 said yours is toast and he has some

·
Registered
711 Posts
What AC21 said.....Replace your sheeves and get a cat belt. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

this is how it was when i bought it, i do believe this thing had a plow or pulled a trailer all its life before i got it. just one thing after another with this quad..

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
My opinion is that it is best to ONLY run stock Arctic Cat belts.

I would try going back to the stock clutch set up, and replace
anything that looks worn, like the Primary sheave. It also looks like
the Secondary sheave spring is so strong that the primary
can not force the clutch assembly into the higher range which makes
the belt ride low in the primary and wear a groove. I would also
check to see if the secondary was assembled correctly when the
spring was changed to a different setting, it may be locked up.

YOU PROBABLY KNOW THIS, BUT DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE
UP TO HIGH R.P.M'S WITH THE COVER OFF TO SEE IF THE
BELT IS SHIFTING PROPERLY, YOU COULD DO SOME REAL
DAMAGE.

I would check the tubes that come into the clutch for cooling to
see if they are clogged as well as the tube that takes the heated
air out of the clutch.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sheave is annihilated!

OEM belts always, aftermarket for trail-side spare...

You properly install a new sheave and belt, that machine run completley different, it might put a smile from ear to ear!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i blew air through all the vents to be sure they were clear before i installed the clutch kit, everything was stock before i got this bike, and iam the one that installed the kit. I know my way around machine pretty good, but i missed these ripples in the sheaves some how. When i was taking the spring out of the secondary i noticed that it was sticky and it took some time to get the spring decompressed. Iam going to pick up a new primary somewhere and I went out today and had a look at my secondary and noticed that it also has some ripples but not nearly as bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts