Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help with a 97 Bearcat.

4wd, 530 original miles.

In great shape and runs like a champ, in temps above freezing.

Below 32 degrees, it starts as well as it does in warmer weather, idles with little or no choke and warms up nicely. Here's the problem: after I start rolling, in a minute or 2 it starts popping/backfiring/sputtering and the throttle becomes unresponsive. stop moving, it idles great, until you start moving again and then the same thing. Now it gets wierd...if I shut it off for a couple seconds then start rolling again it runs great for a couple minutes and the cycle begins all over again. It'll blow black crap/carbon out of the exhaust, but only during the time of it sputtering and backfiring. I can get about 1 mph out of it and if I give it any more gas than that the popping and sputtering begins......

If I leave it set there idling for 20-25 minutes or so and then start rolling, same result....

Warm weather, I let it warm up for a couple minutes and then take off with no problems.

Have tried drygas in the fuel tank, and I know the fuel is fresh. I bought it 75 miles ago and have only had problems with it during below freezing weather, of which we've only had about 4 days of in upstate NY since I bought it.....

Anybody got any ideas?? I bought it mainly for dragging my ice fishing gear to the ice and back and if it doesn't work good in cold weather it's not much use to me.

Thanks for any advice......

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sounds like you have some trash or buildup in the carb jets or your float is bad, sounds like its fine till you run what fuel it has in the float bowl out then its starved for gas. I have seen these things cause that result, check them all and bet you find the problem.
1. trash in float bowl
2. bad float, if it is cracked it can fill with fuel and will not float up as bowl fills leaving very little fuel to run on.
3. varnish buildup in the jets

My best guess is its float related. hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GunRunner @ Jan 12 2007, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds like you have some trash or buildup in the carb jets or your float is bad, sounds like its fine till you run what fuel it has in the float bowl out then its starved for gas. I have seen these things cause that result, check them all and bet you find the problem.
1. trash in float bowl
2. bad float, if it is cracked it can fill with fuel and will not float up as bowl fills leaving very little fuel to run on.
3. varnish buildup in the jets

My best guess is its float related. hope this helps[/b]
Thanks for the info! I would have guessed something like this as well if the problem had been all the time, I never gave it any thought since it only occurs when it's cold outside. I'll check it out, thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also try removing the gas tank vent line, it is known to freeze in cold temps and cut off the fuel flow to the carb.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Can you feel the choke coming on and off? Could it be freezing stuck? Why do you only clog the carb when below freezing?

WC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (walkingcrow @ Jan 12 2007, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can you feel the choke coming on and off? Could it be freezing stuck? Why do you only clog the carb when below freezing?

WC[/b]
I can feel it working properly.

Do you mean why do I only choke it when it's below freezing?? I don't, I use a small amount of choke regardless of weather when I start it in the morning. The only time I have the poor power, backfiring, etc, is when the temps are below freezing.

No matter how long I let it warm up, the result is the same. I don't know why it does this only when it's below freezing, thats what I'm asking about if anybody has had this sort of problem....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carb cleaning, higher octane gas, a hotter plug, none of that was the cause. Had to replace the CDI box. Once that was replaced, no problems at all with it below freezing. Would have been nice to not have to replace a 400 plus dollar CDI box, but at least it's back running good again....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts