Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there got a 98 tcat. The chain keeps skipping under hard acceleration. I know its not the track. That's tight and has no slip drive sprocket. Last year it snapped a chain. Put a new one on. It still skips and its under good tension. Is there any race sprockets or something available. I think its account of the ice picks. Too much hook up causing the top sprocket to skip. Other than studs its all stock.

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
Hi there got a 98 tcat. The chain keeps skipping under hard acceleration. I know its not the track. That's tight and has no slip drive sprocket. Last year it snapped a chain. Put a new one on. It still skips and its under good tension. Is there any race sprockets or something available. I think its account of the ice picks. Too much hook up causing the top sprocket to skip. Other than studs its all stock.
If that were to happen it would round off the top of gears and everything inside that chain case is garbage. Did you change the gears when you did the chain?? My guess is your gears are wore out and you need a new chain and sprockets now.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
See if the gears are in good shape as already stated.

I had the same problem and had to take out the auto chain tensioner and put in a manual adjuster. For the particular gearing I had gone with I needed to lengthen the bolt so it would take up enough of the slop in the chain and problem solved. Sometimes the auto adjusts won't make up the difference and especially if gearing has been changed too.

Have you changed gearing or it just slips with the stock set up?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Exactly, put a manual tensioner on it period !!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has the manual adjust on it. The gears are in very good shape stock I believe also. Checked for out of alignment also. If I ease in the throttle its good. Or just off takeoff also. But if I were to romp it in hardpack or in loose snow it sounds like death in there. I got plenty of gears lying around and I got the biggest sled salvage yard in north mn 10 miles away from me. I was thinking on gearing it taller even to tame it some but it goes fast enough already. Its got me stumped that's for sure. Like I said its got the anti slip drive sprockets and good bearings down there. The tracks at good tension. So all else is the chaincase. I just figured there must be something better for all the people with open mod drag sleds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it ain't a silent hyvo mixup. Cause I have tons of cat gears and they were the same as these. The chain was brand new in the bag from cat or dennis kirk. Ya I agree something is wrong. That's why I am on here hoping someone has scrathed their head too. But that's also a reason why we got a tcat in great condition for 400 bucks. Somethings always wrong with a price like that. There may be a possibility that the shaft bearing is going bad under load or something but it feels pretty good at the moment. And I also doubt it is able to do what it does with those no slips. I have been trying to talk him into declawing the kitty to see if it helps. Btw rob that's a mean looking tcat you got there.

·
Banned
1,274 Posts
Ty bud i appriciate that alot... got 3 yrs into building the FUNdercat. And this year is no different.. the never ending quest for the ultimate do everything rig.

Far as yours. You sound hip so not trying to insult ya.. but yeah i got a scenario for ya.. you say you bought a 98 tcat for 400$. And has anti ratchets on it. Sounds.like an on going issue. Could go as far as driva and jack shafts out of parallel simce the dayit was built. Or as simple as to little chain tension.

Id have to pull it all down and have all suspect components on the bench in front of me for a close up. . Id also measure up the susp mounts in the tunnel vs. Drive and jack holes. Just to know if shes square or not.....

Ive had mine stacked with 192 megabites on 22/41 gears.. trust it hit hard . Only thing was a pretty tight track as it would ratchet a lil bit at factory spec.

Also chaincase skip and a track ratchet have got to feel and sound totally different... ive never ever had a case problem. . I set my chain finger snug then back off a half turn. And rock the house.

And second thought.... if chain and gears still appear to be in good order not showing signs of problems. Its very very possible the track is still skipping. Is the track running true to the tunnel. Skid true to track?

If all things check out. Tighten track till you can just get you fingers tween the track and slides. Make sure its true. (Running centered and even side to side)

Then ride. If it stops back the tension off till it starts back up. Then tighten a round or 2. Rock the house.

Just bouncin ideas man. :)

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
It has the manual adjust on it. The gears are in very good shape stock I believe also. Checked for out of alignment also. If I ease in the throttle its good. Or just off takeoff also. But if I were to romp it in hardpack or in loose snow it sounds like death in there. I got plenty of gears lying around and I got the biggest sled salvage yard in north mn 10 miles away from me. I was thinking on gearing it taller even to tame it some but it goes fast enough already. Its got me stumped that's for sure. Like I said its got the anti slip drive sprockets and good bearings down there. The tracks at good tension. So all else is the chaincase. I just figured there must be something better for all the people with open mod drag sleds.
Both highlight's MAY be pointing to a weak secondary preload with a higher side pressure spring with shallower angled helix making the belt chatter like heck.. just a thought

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Somethings wrong. . Good alignment. Manual adj. Good bearings. ... possible hyvo/ silent mixup?
I had a hyvo mix up once. It can happen. Good point Rob.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Maybe a bent shaft ?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Something strange going on.... check the whole system. Check the belt for a flat spot, check the clutch faces, could be a bad bearing somewhere and I guess it could be in the chain case. We use the manual adjuster and the 15 wide chain and gears....no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.