Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing the rear suspension shock & spring in my 1990 Prowler and don't know how many threads on the shock should show below the black plastic adjuster ring ( I believe it's called the SHOCK RETAINER NUT), in other words at the bottom of the shock as it's mounted, how many threads on the THREADED SLEEVE are showing below the black SHOCK RETIAINER NUT ? I know this is a personal setting according to ride and/or driver weight but I just want to know what the factory set this at.

· Registered
669 Posts
Country Cat has down loadable service manuals for pretty much every Cat model on their website, and they're free. You might find the information you're looking for there.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Country Cat has down loadable service manuals for pretty much every Cat model on their website, and they're free. You might find the information you're looking for there.
Actually sleds only go back to 2000 and Atv’s to 1998.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Installing the rear suspension shock & spring in my 1990 Prowler and don't know how many threads on the shock should show below the black plastic adjuster ring ( I believe it's called the SHOCK RETAINER NUT), in other words at the bottom of the shock as it's mounted, how many threads on the THREADED SLEEVE are showing below the black SHOCK RETIAINER NUT ? I know this is a personal setting according to ride and/or driver weight but I just want to know what the factory set this at.
I have the generic 90-98 manual and it has absolutely nothing about putting shock back together. You’ll have to screw it all the way down to get spring and it’s retainer on. Start with screwing if back up so 1/4” of threads show. Now that it’s been apart it should be easy to adjust while sled is back together.

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the generic 90-98 manual and it has absolutely nothing about putting shock back together. You’ll have to screw it all the way down to get spring and it’s retainer on. Start with screwing if back up so 1/4” of threads show. Now that it’s been apart it should be easy to adjust while sled is back together.
Thank you for your response. So how did you come up with the 1/4 inch of threads ?

· Registered
14,353 Posts
It’s a start and all threads on retainer are catching. I have read posts where guys loosen spring up so it’s just loose, then turn to tighten so spring doesn’t rattle. You will have to play with it to get your steering just right to your riding style and preference. Too loose and steering is hard. Too tight and steering is too loose and you lose control.

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a start and all threads on retainer are catching. I have read posts where guys loosen spring up so it’s just loose, then turn to tighten so spring doesn’t rattle. You will have to play with it to get your steering just right to your riding style and preference. Too loose and steering is hard. Too tight and steering is too loose and you lose control.
I just found the info from a ARTCO's 1990 Prowler service manual . Ski shock springs 3/4 - 1 inch of threads showing, rear suspension shock spring recommends " as loose as possible " tightening may ruin the handling. I kind of like your suggestion of just loose enough to not rattle. I wonder if you can actually hear it rattle ?

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Not sure as I’ve never played with any of my settings. Like I said, play around with it until it works for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts