Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just about done converting my Thundercat to 136". After assembling the skid, I measured the distance from the center of the mounting holes in the rear and front arms, then relocated the brackets in the tunnel so the distance would be the same. Now the rear arm is about a half or 3/4 of an inch farther back than where I put the hole in the tunnel. Will I be causing any long term damage if I bring that arm forward enough (like with a ratchet strap) so I can get the bolts in? Or, one of the holes below the tunnel will line up fine, but I'd have to drill the rest of the hole out. Cat's tech book says if you have to go below the tunnel, to only use the hole they've already drilled out. Does anyone know why they don't want us to use one of the other holes?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The same thing happened to mine. I just compressed the suspensoin a bit and with a little persuasion i got it in. I have about 400 miles on it now and I dont see any problems yet. :beer_cheers:

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
Loosen the rear axle bolts in the idler wheels,
Loosen the rear adjuster jam nuts almost all the way to the head of the adjustment bolt.
Now take an air rachet and tighten the adjustment bolts up on both sides evenly, this will make the track tighter than a guitar string and it will push the rear arm forword and the rear scissor bolts will line up perfectly.
After you get the rear bolts in, loosen the track back up and set it correctly.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TallCool1 @ Jan 28 2007, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So I'm just about done converting my Thundercat to 136". After assembling the skid, I measured the distance from the center of the mounting holes in the rear and front arms, then relocated the brackets in the tunnel so the distance would be the same. Now the rear arm is about a half or 3/4 of an inch farther back than where I put the hole in the tunnel. Will I be causing any long term damage if I bring that arm forward enough (like with a ratchet strap) so I can get the bolts in? Or, one of the holes below the tunnel will line up fine, but I'd have to drill the rest of the hole out. Cat's tech book says if you have to go below the tunnel, to only use the hole they've already drilled out. Does anyone know why they don't want us to use one of the other holes?[/b]
This is what is supposed to happen. You cannot measure a suspension when it is out of the sled because the springs push the mounting points apart when it is unrestrained by the tunnel. You can use a rathchet strap to compress the suspension, or relieve the spring tension by removing the torsion spring ends from the slide blocks on the rails. My guess is you would more likely do damage by making the mounting holes further apart than they are supposed to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.