Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I need some help. :help

My afternoon project was to replace all of the bottom idler wheels and bearings in the rear suspension of my '93 Jag. I believe this is what was called the Fasttrack suspenstion, and it has 6000 miles on all stock parts, so I figure it was due. I have the skid out anyways to replace the stock shocks with some Fox shocks and rear torsion springs out of a '95 ZR.

Here is a pic of the skid: [attachment=61454:IMG_0608.jpg]

I got everything pulled off the the pretty trashed ZR suspension without any problems! Cat happy

But then I started trying to pull the idler wheels off of the Jas suspension and ran into my first problem. The allen nut in the lock collar on the upper axel that the torsion spring mounts around is stuck tight. I have sprayed a lot of WD-40 on it and they still aren't budging. bang your head I am very paranoid about striping out the allen nut, so am taking it a bit easy, hopefully it will come eventually. Do any of you know of any better loosening sprays?

But my real question is, I don't see how to remove the 4 idler wheels that are inside the rails. On the middle set, shown here: [attachment=61455:IMG_0611.jpg]
I can only manage to get 1 of the bolts mounting the axel loose, cause once the blue loctite broke loose on one of the bolts the axel just spins when trying to loosen the other bolt. So then I thought I could just unbolt the mounting plate from the rails, pull the whole thing out and pull everything off from one side. But the lip on the bottom and top of the rails prevents this. So, how do I approach this?

Then on the most forward set of center idler wheels, pic here: [attachment=61456:IMG_0613.jpg]

I removed the bold that holds the lower torsion spring mount, but I can't see for the life of me how to proceed from here with getting at these idler wheels.

I have a Clymer's manual, but it doesn't give detailed instuctions on this.

Obviously this is my first attempt at this, and I am clueless, but I am sure a lot of you have done this and will know some tricks. Thanks in advance for the advice!!! :site:

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wayno_Jag @ Jan 21 2007, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey All, I need some help. :help

My afternoon project was to replace all of the bottom idler wheels and bearings in the rear suspension of my '93 Jag. I believe this is what was called the Fasttrack suspenstion, and it has 6000 miles on all stock parts, so I figure it was due. I have the skid out anyways to replace the stock shocks with some Fox shocks and rear torsion springs out of a '95 ZR.

Here is a pic of the skid: [attachment=61454:IMG_0608.jpg]

I got everything pulled off the the pretty trashed ZR suspension without any problems! Cat happy

But then I started trying to pull the idler wheels off of the Jas suspension and ran into my first problem. The allen nut in the lock collar on the upper axel that the torsion spring mounts around is stuck tight. I have sprayed a lot of WD-40 on it and they still aren't budging. bang your head I am very paranoid about striping out the allen nut, so am taking it a bit easy, hopefully it will come eventually. Do any of you know of any better loosening sprays?

But my real question is, I don't see how to remove the 4 idler wheels that are inside the rails. On the middle set, shown here: [attachment=61455:IMG_0611.jpg]
I can only manage to get 1 of the bolts mounting the axel loose, cause once the blue loctite broke loose on one of the bolts the axel just spins when trying to loosen the other bolt. So then I thought I could just unbolt the mounting plate from the rails, pull the whole thing out and pull everything off from one side. But the lip on the bottom and top of the rails prevents this. So, how do I approach this?

Then on the most forward set of center idler wheels, pic here: [attachment=61456:IMG_0613.jpg]

I removed the bold that holds the lower torsion spring mount, but I can't see for the life of me how to proceed from here with getting at these idler wheels.

I have a Clymer's manual, but it doesn't give detailed instuctions on this.

Obviously this is my first attempt at this, and I am clueless, but I am sure a lot of you have done this and will know some tricks. Thanks in advance for the advice!!! :site:

Wayne[/b]
Try putting a little heat to the set screw, may need to melt loctite. Just don't melt your wheel. The bolts in idler wheels are a little tricky. If you can only break one loose you need to tighten that bolt back up and get it tight. Then just hold that bolt with a wrech and try to break loose the other side. This may take a few times but it should come loose. By the looks of your pics you may have to loosen the cross shafts between the rails to pull the center idlers out of the supports. Just a little FYI in your center pic just to the right of the wheels is the mounting location for you shock, when you put everything back together may sure that that SOB is up and not down! If that thing is down and you compress the suspension you'll have a nice bent shock rod to hang on your wall. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Tundra! :thumbsup:

Does anyone else out there have any other hints/tips you could share. I have a couple of hours to work on it tonight and would like to wrap it up!

Wayne

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright! I got the six forward most idler wheels & bearings replaced!! :super_happy:

What I ended up doing was loosening the mounts to the slide rails to give some slop to the whole assemblie. Then I was able to push the inner axel all the way out one side and then swap the wheels and bearings and push it back through. I don't know if this was the "correct" way to do it? I dunno But it worked for me!

The allen nut on the lock collar on the upper rear mount is still not budging. I am going to have to go get some of that PB Blaster and try that out. I am still waiting for my last few wheels and replacement bearings that I ordered to show up, plus I am still waiting for the Fox rear shock I am putting in to arrive back from being serviced, so I can let it soak for a bit.

Well, just thought I would give an update! Thanks for the advice!! :site:

Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.