Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
I just did a zrt 3 days ago. Rusted on and wouldn't budge. Even bent the new puller I just bought. Came right off real easy with a hacksaw. lol. I would love to see how one gets the jack shaft out of a sled with the secondary still on as someone posted earlier. Please,......show me a vid. New jack shaft and clutch time.

SNO Stuff Driven Clutch Puller for Arctic Cat 725-182 725-182 11-2117

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I just did a zrt 3 days ago. Rusted on and wouldn't budge. Even bent the new puller I just bought. Came right off real easy with a hacksaw. lol. I would love to see how one gets the jack shaft out of a sled with the secondary still on as someone posted earlier. Please,......show me a vid. New jack shaft and clutch time.

SNO Stuff Driven Clutch Puller for Arctic Cat 725-182 725-182 11-2117
You have to pull some (a lot) of the rivits in the belly pan to bend it enough to get it out. On a rare sled if extra jacks arnt available easiy doing a restore taking the whole pan off anyway and arnt plastic. Have had clutches that come off with some work some not a budge. When took them down to get pressed of piece of cake. All the soaking with whatever tipped on the side for weeks every couple days. When pressed off only seeped in 1/8 inch all dry otherwise. Old steel clutches are the worse its all on the shaft, reverse cam only on part way easy press no noise.

Come across several reverse cam clutches that had studs broken off only way I see is a puller was used and something had to give. Hacksaw the jackshaft not bad way can still press the clutch off and save it if jackshafts are an easy come by

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
When working on a sled and charging by the hour, its cheaper to cut it off and put another shaft and clutch on it. The original owner already beat the clutch like a red headed step child and bent it, so it was not that much worse to just cut it and buy another jack shaft. To my door the jack shaft was $37.80 off eBay, and I had a used secondary here for him. Believe it or not, I managed to get the shaft in without removing the air box so that saved lots of time. I get your point though, and if it was a rare sled and the customer wasn't wanting it right away, then maybe do the rivet thing. Otherwise, cut it and move along.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So should I find a jackshaft and new secondary... or should I buy a puller. Hrm.

I've had it on it's side for 2 days soaking w kroil, heated it up with a torch tonight and beat the piss outta the back side with a mini sledge. Nothing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So should I find a jackshaft and new secondary... or should I buy a puller. Hrm.

I've had it on it's side for 2 days soaking w kroil, heated it up with a torch tonight and beat the piss outta the back side with a mini sledge. Nothing.
Well if that's the case you'll probably need a new clutch too.... but that said the puller worked great for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

if you have access to a press you can pull the jackshaft with clutch attached and press it off. If you beat the clutch hard and bent the sheave its junk.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts

Well, i have pulled several off. This is the first time I couldn't get one off and ended up buying a puller. With the Covid crap, everything seems delayed from where ever you order it from. Wished I would of taken the pic but did not. I had the owner here and had the clutch red hot to the point of almost melting the air box. Then heated the other side, then back to the first side again, still no dice. Your call. Some come right off, some do not. All you can do is try. Please let us know how it goes if you take the shaft and clutch off.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

The only way you have a chance is a 2x4 right down at the hub of the clutch but its a bad angle as much down as off. Hitting the sheaves besides chance of damage your binding to the shat tilt as much as off. If its seized tight against the washers can tell if moves the slightest amount washers will be loose. Spraying both sides hitting it farther on also then off. Con to hitting it off though might break or bend the jackshaft mount. Sounds like your past the point of hitting it off

·
Registered
361 Posts
So I am already underwater on this sled, and I don't want to spend $100 on a new secondary, and $50 on a jackshaft. I also don't want ot drill out all the rivets and remove the bodywork... is there ANYWAY to adjust belt deflection with the pulley still on the sled????

I've been blasting at the back of the clutch right near the jackshaft with a small sledge hammer, have not been hitting on the sheave itself... thinking about giving up and just leaving the belt deflection the way it is. Idk what else to do. A new jackshaft and secondary is another $150-200, and I already have $2000+ into this piece of ****, lol.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
So I am already underwater on this sled, and I don't want to spend $100 on a new secondary, and $50 on a jackshaft. I also don't want ot drill out all the rivets and remove the bodywork... is there ANYWAY to adjust belt deflection with the pulley still on the sled????

I've been blasting at the back of the clutch right near the jackshaft with a small sledge hammer, have not been hitting on the sheave itself... thinking about giving up and just leaving the belt deflection the way it is. Idk what else to do. A new jackshaft and secondary is another $150-200, and I already have $2000+ into this piece of ****, lol.
Loosen the motor have a little play in the holes

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
He started another thread and found out he is missing the bump stop. If he loosens all the motor mount bolts he may get the engine slide ahead some, but not that much. I think he may have to take out a shim or so in the secondary but wanted to see what the bump stop outcome was first.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, that would be ****ing cool except in order to loosen the motherfucking motormount under the PTO carb the god damn ****ing primary clutch needs to come off so I googled that and tried the water/oil method like 15 god damn times and used like two ROLLS of teflon tape and yeah I would feel it compress but then teh ****ing bolt would just thread all the way in and do jack **** and not pop the primary off so now my sled is a greasy oiley wet mess of **** and I wasted two ****ing rolles of teflon tape and like 3 hours of my time GOD ****ING DAMMIT I HATE THIS PIECE OF **** I AM SERIOUSLY GOING TO JSUT SELL THE WHOLE GOD DAMN THING FOR $50 SOON

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if any repair shops will rent me the official motehrfucking primary and secondary pullers and if that doesn't work, I guess I'm a piece of ****, I suck, I'm a failure, but holy **** if I added up teh amount of hours I had into this piece of ****ing **** I could have afforded a brand new sled even with minimum wage.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, that would be *ing cool except in order to loosen the motherfucking motormount under the PTO carb the god damn ****ing primary clutch needs to come off so I googled that and tried the water/oil method like 15 god damn times and used like two ROLLS of teflon tape and yeah I would feel it compress but then teh ****ing bolt would just thread all the way in and do jack * and not pop the primary off so now my sled is a greasy oiley wet mess of ** and I wasted two ***ing rolles of teflon tape and like 3 hours of my time GOD ****ING DAMMIT I HATE THIS PIECE OF * I AM SERIOUSLY GOING TO JSUT SELL THE WHOLE GOD DAMN THING FOR $50 SOON

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if any repair shops will rent me the official motehrfucking primary and secondary pullers and if that doesn't work, I guess I'm a piece of *, I suck, I'm a failure, but holy * if I added up teh amount of hours I had into this piece of *ing * I could have afforded a brand new sled even with minimum wage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Well, that would be *ing cool except in order to loosen the motherfucking motormount under the PTO carb the god damn ****ing primary clutch needs to come off so I googled that and tried the water/oil method like 15 god damn times and used like two ROLLS of teflon tape and yeah I would feel it compress but then teh ****ing bolt would just thread all the way in and do jack * and not pop the primary off so now my sled is a greasy oiley wet mess of ** and I wasted two ***ing rolles of teflon tape and like 3 hours of my time GOD ****ING DAMMIT I HATE THIS PIECE OF * I AM SERIOUSLY GOING TO JSUT SELL THE WHOLE GOD DAMN THING FOR $50 SOON

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if any repair shops will rent me the official motehrfucking primary and secondary pullers and if that doesn't work, I guess I'm a piece of *, I suck, I'm a failure, but holy * if I added up teh amount of hours I had into this piece of *ing * I could have afforded a brand new sled even with minimum wage.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you lost the love for this sled now. I was frustrated with mine after a while but I did see progress so I kept going to the bitter end.
Absolutely nowhere near the frustration you have endured.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
I had an old 69 Panther when I was a kid. Quit running in the neighbors field. So I left it there overnight. (Hands were froze) Overnight we had a blizzard. Dropped the nuts in the snow that held the carb on. Ya, gets frustrating. Thing is whether you like it or not, it a learning curve later in life you will get a chuckle out of. I know you don't see it that way now though. Let it go for a few days and come back to it. Don't let it win.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts