Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, On my wifes 1999 Z370. I take off and after about 45 seconds it starts to bog like its starving for gas. I have to flip the choke half way then it will wind back up for sec then want to stall. When I have it idleing it will drop a cylinder and only run on one. I give it gas and it will run better for a second. I took the carb apart and cleaned it up good and still same problem. I hope somebody here can shed a little light on the situation. Thanks!!

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duane @ Jan 26 2007, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
check the impulse hose from the base to the fuel pump may be loose or cracked[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locky @ Jan 27 2007, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Could the fuel filter be causing this?[/b]
The above, bad fuel pump, pluged pilot jet or Could be a bad carb safety switch, may be out of alignment on the carb since you had it apart that is cutting out at different positions,
Unplug the 3 wire plug for the kill switch under the centerpad and start it and see if it is any better

Also 370's are famed for eating the fan cooling belts, I have rebuilt a lot of them that broke the belt and "cooked" themselves.
Make sure it is discharging air on the clutch side opening while running.

Do a compression check to rule that out also, should be around 135 to 145 LBS in both cylinders.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres one thing I just figured out. It keeps running on one cylinder but its not always the same cylinder. Sometimes the left and other times the right. Now im even more confused.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no luck. What happens is when the choke is off it runs on the PTO side. With the choke on it floods the PTO side but then the right side works. It backfires a little bit. Compression is 125psi on both cylinders. I pulled to exhaust off to check for nests. I put my carb off of my Z440 on it with no luck either. Tonight I will put the fuel pump from my sled on it and see if that could be the problem. Im starting to think that maybe its either a base gasket or crank seal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How many miles are on it? My last sled was a 04 Z370 i had the same problem but mine was a worse case, my crank case was out of round, but like i said worse case. But i got a new engine out of it and a 2 year warranty on top of the 2 year i already had :super_happy: . it may be blowing by the rings if the miles are high, just a thought.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
Take the plugs out of it, tape the throttle wide open and screw in a compression tester in it and pull it over about 10 times on each side with the key off.

It should be around 130 to 140 lbs on each side.

If you don't have one, they sell at AutoZone for about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe check if the plugs maybe foul, or maybe your fuel line maybe bent just enough to squirt for a few seconds then stop for several on and off?

Looking for 2004 Firecat F6 SP, or EXT, EFI
PM ME!!

The Buck Stops Here!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.