Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scratching my head here. I have 2 battery EFI sleds. A 96 ZR 580 EFI and a 93 EXT 550 EFI and both have the same low rpm bog/no power. They both start and idle great all day but as soon as you give some gas they fall on they're face. I tested the stators as follows.
ZR - coil 1 173.5 ohms (cold)
coil 2 174.5 ohms

EXT - coil 1 193.5 ohms (warm)
coil 2 183.8 ohms

Now I know the ZR is suposed to ohm 45/450 per the manual, my manual does not give me a spec for the EXT. My question is.. Why do both coils on both sleds all ohm the same? Do both sleds have bad stators? Cat really made these things hard to diagnose, if it's not the stator then it could any of a long list of other problems that can cause similar symptoms. I can't afford to go replacing part after part until they run good. I need help!

I should add I tried bypassing the TSS on the ZR with no change, and the EXT does not have the TSS system on the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
First how much voltage does the batteries have???? they should have 14.2 volts that might be your problem. Other thing to look for alot of people over look is the primary clutch spring breaks it will bog the motor when it starts to engage. I would check the battery voltage first.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was chasing a bog in my 96 zr 580..... when I pulled the primary down for maintenance and a spring change I found that a roller on the spider siezed and had a flat spot grinding down one weight. just something to look for....

Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
X2 on checking your primary clutch. My Dad's 2000 Powder Special 600 EFI had a low end bog last year and our mechanic just informed us his clutch weights are worn to the point where they grooved the spider and so the clutch wasn't engaging properly. It took a lot more throttle to get it moving due to the clutch not engaging properly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If the clutch looks ok, something as simple as too much belt deflection can cause a bog. Does the belt ride just out of the secondary?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts