Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of purchasing a quad, I am going to stay in the 500 cc range , I can't decide between an Artic Cat, Can Am or a Honda I would like the good and bad points of each machine. thanks

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (boilers94 @ Feb 8 2007, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
AC 500 Manual!! End of story! :thumbsup:[/b]

OR AUTO........same zuki engines...manual if you want gears auto if you don't...the 500 auto has one of the BEST trannies around IMO....

lots of'em around with very,VERY few prob's

Honda is still a good name but I have not studied their lineup in a while

AL

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
the can-am I know nothing about other than ...isn't it a twin....that could be nice.....but like i said I've been out of touch for a while on 4-wheelers :trail:

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
can-am = i have no dealers around me so i don't know enough to talk about them.
honda = all of the farmers around my house love them for their reliability but all they need them for is to ride their levees and carring a shovel. i am impressed with the new rancher 420 efi. now if only they can make irs on all bikes and get a real tranny.
arctic cat = ground clearance, indipendent susp., receiver hitch, rack space, speed rack, all standard. i would like to see more efi in the cat line up but the carbs are simple and they work so i guess the only reason i want them to have efi is for the bragging rights "my bike is cooler than your bike"

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Dont forget that Honda also has to different 500 class models, the rubicon with its liquid cooled and the hondamatic tranny and also the upgraded foreman with its air cooled 475cc motor and standard 5 speed gearbox (in either ES or just S). The two biggest downfalls on the Honda are the rear drum brakes and solid rear axle, it limits ground clearance and suspension travel. Though they are both very proven design. My uncle has an 06 foreman 500M and is very satisfied with it, he uses it mainly for hunting and light trail riding. Choosing the right quad does depend alot of how you ride, where you ride and what you ride.

·
Registered
96 Posts
AC line up in the 500cc range is the 500 man or 500 auto which runs the same powerplant as the Suzuki Vinson. Great machine with IRS, liquid cooled, same basic chassis as the H1 and 700efi by AC also. It has a locker for rough holes or if you just need it for whatever reason.

Can Am I believe now has a 500cc efi V-twin but this is just what I think I heard and could be WAY off! I also think I have heard of a 450?

Honda has several in the 500cc range. Starting with the 07 Rancher, I know its not 500cc but its a 420cc ish machine with EFI and liquid cooling, it has 4wd optional, no locker, straight rear axle (SRA) and drum brakes in the rear. Some dont like drum brakes but I have to say the 1996 Fourtrax I have is STILL on the stock brake pads front and back and its all drums. But it doesnt ever see much water or mud. Honda also has two true 500cc class machines in the Rubicon and Foreman. Rubicon is 499cc (I think) and liquid cooled true auto transmission with ES (thumb shift) as an option also. Foreman is 475cc with ES shift or manual foot shift and its air/oil cooled. Both of these have disc brakes up front, and drum in the back with SRA both. They are basically the identical chassis with different engine/ transmissions. If I was to buy a atv for farm use it would be another Foreman. That thing is tough and with the SRA its better suited for towing trailers and such even though my H1 will pull more the Foreman didnt squat so bad trying to pull the same. If you see the Rubicon and Foreman side by side you cannot tell a difference from just the body. Rubicon is higher priced. none of the Hondas have a locker, only the Rincon has IRS but isnt really suited to work or mud its a very capable trail machine that can do alittle of the others. Hondas designs seem behind the times since they dont have but one with IRS and 2 EFI machines but they are targeting a much larger market than mud riders they are going after the people that use them to work or leisure trail riding. They aren't #1 for making the biggest strongest monster, just the most little machines. I have owned 3 Hondas a 1996 Fourtrax 300 2wd, a 2005 Rancher 2wd manual shift, and a 2006 Foreman ES 4x4.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flyinscootrpilot @ Feb 9 2007, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
AC line up in the 500cc range is the 500 man or 500 auto which runs the same powerplant as the Suzuki Vinson. Great machine with IRS, liquid cooled, same basic chassis as the H1 and 700efi by AC also. It has a locker for rough holes or if you just need it for whatever reason.

Can Am I believe now has a 500cc efi V-twin but this is just what I think I heard and could be WAY off! I also think I have heard of a 450?

Honda has several in the 500cc range. Starting with the 07 Rancher, I know its not 500cc but its a 420cc ish machine with EFI and liquid cooling, it has 4wd optional, no locker, straight rear axle (SRA) and drum brakes in the rear. Some dont like drum brakes but I have to say the 1996 Fourtrax I have is STILL on the stock brake pads front and back and its all drums. But it doesnt ever see much water or mud. Honda also has two true 500cc class machines in the Rubicon and Foreman. Rubicon is 499cc (I think) and liquid cooled true auto transmission with ES (thumb shift) as an option also. Foreman is 475cc with ES shift or manual foot shift and its air/oil cooled. Both of these have disc brakes up front, and drum in the back with SRA both. They are basically the identical chassis with different engine/ transmissions. If I was to buy a atv for farm use it would be another Foreman. That thing is tough and with the SRA its better suited for towing trailers and such even though my H1 will pull more the Foreman didnt squat so bad trying to pull the same. If you see the Rubicon and Foreman side by side you cannot tell a difference from just the body. Rubicon is higher priced. none of the Hondas have a locker, only the Rincon has IRS but isnt really suited to work or mud its a very capable trail machine that can do alittle of the others. Hondas designs seem behind the times since they dont have but one with IRS and 2 EFI machines but they are targeting a much larger market than mud riders they are going after the people that use them to work or leisure trail riding. They aren't #1 for making the biggest strongest monster, just the most little machines. I have owned 3 Hondas a 1996 Fourtrax 300 2wd, a 2005 Rancher 2wd manual shift, and a 2006 Foreman ES 4x4.[/b]
Excuse me. I thought I was dreaming that I was reading a Honda add. Soooo, I guess you're recommending a Honda? Things a little slow down at the Honda dealership?

Don't get me wrong. Honda make good machines. Although, their reputation far outweighs their real world difference in quality. Honda garnered their reputation by building some of the first bullet proof small gasoline engines and motorcycles. The Honda Cub is probably their best example. They justly deserved the compliment. However, in reality, just about any of the engines from Japan are just as reliable and in many cases better designed. Honda have cleverly decided on keeping their ATV designs very conservative. They don't have the biggest most powerful engines, don't have the most ground clearance or most sophisticated suspension. By keeping their machines relatively milk-toast, they minimize the number of customers who will buy an ATV to stress it to it's limits in hard core riding such as mudding. By doing this, their reliability record will appear to be better than the brands that are being subject to extreme use. Bottom line is that Honda ATVs are really not that much better than any of the other main stream manufacturers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
lots of people have the 500 cat (me included) as does bigdcred with 16000 miles on his the engine is built by zuki but improvments are done by cat (air box and carb) not going to bash honda but there lineup hasent adreesed the needs of the "rider" solid axle and small gas tanks are still there problems and the hondamatic tranny be sure you never pull with it, it will not do it!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Savercat, Tell me how you are going to use it and what type of riding you do and I will tell which one would be better. There all good quads but each has different strengths and purposes.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Hoopie nailed it...what use are you going to use it for? The Cat has the great speedrack system, tons of power, the 500 powerplant is bulletproof, and the ground clearance and suspension travel are great!

IMO, Honda was IT in the ATV game. They earned their reputation. However, they have been riding on their name and their quality has seemingly gone downhill a bit. They aren't crap, but they aren't the icon of durability they use to be IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know what you will be using it for, but if you are going to spend that much money you need to look at the 650 H1. It is not that much more $$$ , But it is way more power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.