Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to start my 4wheeler and it will not start. It will turnover all day long. It will act like it is going to start if i mash the throttle about 20 times before trying to start it. It will make a sound like it is going to start then it will quit. The sound lasts for about half a second.

I've cleaned the carb about 10 times. I have the kill switch in the RUN position. There is spark coming from the plug. What else could it be??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Try replacing the spark plug, it may be fouled, happened to my buddy a while back.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered some new ones. They should be here at the end of the week. I did clean the current one and put it back in there. It is getting plenty of spark.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Did anything happen before the starting issue, ie wet ride, intake, jetting work? Check your air filter. Drain the carb bowl and make sure you are getting gas. I had a fouled plug that sparked but wouldn't start until I replaced it.

Let us know.

WC

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I just snorkeled the bike and I had it in water up to the speedo. It was starting fine after that. Then I tried to start it the other night and it wouldn't start. I checked the carb and there was a bit of mud in there. I cleaned it out and put it back together. The mud came in through the primer boot thingy. I sealed that off. I've cleaned the carb several times and it still will not start.

I took out the plug and turned it over and it blew a bit of gas out of the hole. So, I do believe it is getting gas. Maybe the plug just doesn't spark enough to get the bike to start. I ordered some new plugs the other day and they should be here by the end of the week. I will try to get the one in there cleaned up better and try it again.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Did you make any changes to the pilot jet or screw after installing your snorkles?? Are you sure the choke cable is fully working?? Try putting your hand over the end of the snorkle to see if it will start then.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it is getting gas. I cleaned the plug up very well and it tried to run for a second. I have new plugs on the way and I hope that remedies my problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got the bike running. I installed a new spark plug. It helped but the bike still ran like crap. I took the carb apart and soaked it in a cleaner for 3 days. I noticed the rubber gasket inside the pilot screw had a small rip in it. I ordered a new one from alphasports along with some more bolts, screws, and a new air box. I also ordered some spacers and front wheel bearings. $300 worth of stuff in all.

I installed the new pilot screw today and the bike fired right up and ran great at idle. I have to install my spacers and redo my intake snorkel before I will be able to ride it though. I have the rear rims on the front and the front rims on the rear. The front rims are turned to where the valve stem is on the inside. The rim hits ths caliper. I hope the spacer will solve this issuse and I also hope that I will be able to keep the lug nuts tight with the rims turned inside out. I've heard many ppl say that they will work just fine like that as long as I turn the lug nut around.

Thanks for the help from everyone.

On a side note... My bike is 54" wide in the front now! It looks mean. I will try to get some pics as soon as I get the camera back.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
why are you running the rims turned around I dunno

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bike is an SRA. I turned the front rims around to change the offset so that the tires would stick out further and not rub my shocks. The front rims turned around stick out about as far as the rear rims do. I will get pics ASAP to show everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts