Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a begginer rider and I need help. My thumb, when i'm pushing on the throttle it hurts alot. I can't stand it! Is it something that i will get used to or can I treat it somehow? Any tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
If it is that hard to push, you should check to be sure your throttle, cable and carbs all move smooth and free. If not, get it fixed! This can be very dangerous. Compare your sled to another sled of the same brand and size to see if it feels about like yours. You need to be sure you don't compare an EFI sled to a Carb sled. Carbs will pull harder!

If they are free to move and smooth, you will get use to it. I had a friend that had this problem and actually worked out his thumb by squeezing a racquetball.

·
Registered
738 Posts
shoot some cable lube down the cable.. also i dont press with my thumb, more that web thing in between my 1st finger and my thumb

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also chek your throttle cable for any kinks, if there are kinks replace it. Just to let you know every I have this problem for the first few rides and it evenutally goes away after a while.

·
Registered
872 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pyrex @ Jan 4 2007, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
shoot some cable lube down the cable.. also i dont press with my thumb, more that web thing in between my 1st finger and my thumb[/b]
Good point, that is kind of how I ride also now that I think about it. Be sure you use lub that will not stiffen up when it gets cold!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
pull the top of the carb off to expose the spring on top of the slide,cut 1 ring out of the spring at time until it pulls easy enough for you, do one at a time and count how many rings you cut so the second one only needs cut once.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not to be a pain Catspaz, but I really don't think a newbie should be told to cut the springs in the carbs. I know it worked for me on my MXZ 670, but I wouldn't recommend a beginner doing this mod. Just my 2 cents. The tired thumb issue will go away the more you ride. You can also exercise your hand to get the muscles moving. Thinner gloves help also as well as turning the throttle lever to a different position. They make braces and supports if it doesn't get better or you can add a throttle flare from Dennis Kirk. This 12 piece allows the use of the palm rather than just the thumb. Good luck, ZR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts