Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I was using my 2010 TRV 550 in a field. All was good than I noticed I had no 4wd. I didn't hear a bang or grind or anything that would lead me to think it was seized. I was stuck and tried 4wd and 4wd lock, but neither front tire was spinning.

Anyways, I got out and took the ATV home and finally had a chance to pull it apart.

The front left axle had popped out of the diff. It was hanging crooked and not in the diff.

I pulled it out and inside the diff looks and feels like all the splines are good. Doesn't appear to have any damage inside the diff.

The right axle spins fine. The axle the goes into the back of the diff turns just fine as well. When the machine is moving both the front right and the axle going into the rear of the diff turn. I forgot the technical term for what I call the axle that goes into the back of the diff

The accutator seems to work fine. I see movement when in slide the switch back and forth.

Could all that have happened is my front left axle some how popped out of the differ or a stick pulled it out?

IF this is the case, should I be able to get the undamaged front right axle to spin in 4wd or 4wd diff lock? I had no fluid in the diff as it would have drained out when the axle popped out

Thanks

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Put the bike off the ground and start r up and put in and out of 4wd. Does anything work up there ? Seems to be an easy troubleshooting procedure to me.

Steve

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the bike off the ground and start r up and put in and out of 4wd. Does anything work up there ? Seems to be an easy troubleshooting procedure to me.

Steve
As mentioned, when it was stuck in the snow, neither front wheel would turn in 4wd or 4wd lock.

Tomorrow I could get it off the ground in my garage and try again, but I'm not sure if that would tell me anything new. Worth a shot though I guess.

If I can't get the front wheels turning, my diff is pooched then?

Does 4wd or 4wd lock even turn the right front wheel on these bikes?

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
4x4 lock will but you need the left front axle to be engaged.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Why do you need new axle? It may only need new retaining clip. And "axles" going from motor to diff's are driveshafts.

·
Registered
925 Posts
He mentioned early in his post that the axle popped partially out of his diff while he was using it, I've had this happen, what will happen is the end of the axle splines, retaining clip and all gets chewed off by the ring gear which is a much harder steel than the axle, gives the axle a nice mushroom shape. Thus he will need a new left axle,

I believe what was happening was because the gearcase is an open diff, without both axles engaged to something with diff lock neither tire will turn. If there was an axle cup in the diff then you would still get diff lock properly and have 3wd (front right turns, front left broken but also turns) without the extra spline engagement I believe the diff acts as open still and the internals move but the axles won't.

My guess would be the diff is just fine, flush it out really really good, stuff some axles in it and give it a shot. Was your front end included in the recall for bad pin welds? someone here will shut me up if i'm off base for suggesting that I'm sure.

My suggestion when replacing the axle, don't go by Turners or some other obscenely strong axles unless you plan to seriously mudrace it or something. You want a weak point in your driveline, and Axle is easier to replace than a U-Joint and cheaper to replace than a Differential. U-joints are cheap enough but they are really awkward in cat frames to deal with in my experience.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey

i'll try to answer all posts here

1) It needed a new axle before this. The old one was worn out, making noise and the boot was torn. I was planning on replacing that axle the week after this happened anyways.

2) I read that the 2010 were not initially included in the recall for bad welds. But than a few years later Arcitic Cat was extending that to my year past the warranty. I think AC paid for the parts, but not labour. But I'm not sure entirely myself.

3) This machine is just used to farm/acreage work now. It rarely gets beaten up in mud or trials anymore.. So I'll throw a reg axle in it. I did replace the front u joint a couple years ago and it was a pain for sure lol...

4) I was lucky in that when it popped out, it popped out far enough that it didn't grind anything down at all. I threw it in the garage right away without putting many more km's on it. But like I said, the axle was worn anyways.

Thanks for the help.. The new axle should be here by next week, hard to say with the COVID mess though. I'll update when its back together.

Any suggestions how to flush the diff really well? I was thinking of taking the drain plug out and squirting acetone/tranny fluid mix into it with a big syringe several times. Than final flush with gear oil until it drains clean.. Then fill with gear oil and drive 10km and drain and refill then repeat once more.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
Diesel works good and is cheap.
Recall was only on 2008 and some early 2009 machines.

·
Administrator
2,395 Posts
If the axle on the side with the acutator pops out, you won't get any power to the other front wheel, it will just spin the gears in the diff, as if there was no diff lock and one tire was on ice

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I flushed the diff out several times using ATF and air compressor..

Put the new axle in today with proper gear oil. 4wd and 4wd lock both work again now.

Drove it for 3 km, then drained the diff fluid.. IT was very milky and a bit brown. Blew it all out the drain hole with air compressor and filled it back up with gear oil.

I'll drain it again once I put on another 10km.

Thanks for the help, I really thought I Was going to need a new diff. Very glad that's not the case.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
Thanks for the update! Glad you got it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts