Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am new to the game. Just picked up a 01 120. It seems to start ok but when you hit the gas it bogs. I cleaned the carb but no better. what should I look at next. It does seem a little better if the chock is pulled 1/4 out.

Thanks sammy

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the bog seems to go away with the choke pulled slightly, it is most likely a lack of fuel. The choke restricts the amount of air and helps to pull harder from the float bowl and you then acheive the correct fuel/air ratio. Check for fuel restriction all the way from the fuel tank (filter) to the carb. If cleaning the carb produced some positive results, make sure you clean the main jet as well. Main jet orifice diameters are measured in thousands of an inch. I have used a torch tip cleaner in the past but be aware it is a risky way to clean. If you step it up a size by using to large a tip cleaner, you could enlarge the jet and cause a to rich condition. If you change a main jet by .010 of an inch, it will make a difference so it stands to reason if there is a very small amount of hard varnish in the jet it will close it off and restrict fuel. Try cleaning it and if it makes a difference but still ultimately is not perfect, replace the jet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
ah the infamous bog...if your motor is bogging then it obviously points to a carb problem. Look at your pilot jet and tell me what the number is on top of it.
Next, what if any mods have been done...is the air filter removed? Are you using fresh gas? Clean the carb again real good. Take the pilot jet, air screw, and bowl off. Remove the main jet and nozzle. Blast every hole real good with carb cleaner. Watch out for your eyes when spraying.

Normally a good starting point for all this is as follows. If you hit the throttle and the motor sounds like it takes a deep breath and then takes off...you have a problem with your pilot circuit. The motor is winding up and the main jet is taking over after it has a better vacuum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
check your fuel filter. I had similar problems, I check the fuel filter and notice that the arrow that shows the flow of fuel was pointing back towards the gas tank, not towards the engine. I took it off, tried to clean it as best I could, and put it in properly. Once the engine warmed up, the sled works great. No more bog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts