Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 Jag Deluxe. When you turn the key nothing, hold the key and smack the solenoid nothing but if you jump the solenoid it fires. How do I tell if the solenoid is bad or if the "trigger" is not sending a signal to fire?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Jan 27 2007, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
start by checking the inline fuse down by solenoid, if not, give the # pm'd to ya' a call[/b]
I don't see a fuse. I wonder if it was cut out by the previous owner. I can't call from work and the sled's at work. I really do appreciate the help though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well you jump, it works. So it's not the solenoid.

Get a test light, hook it to ground and check the OUTPUT from the IGN switch to the solenoid. Switch could be bad, not uncommon.

C-note says there a fuse, I never have seen one before on my electric start Cats, but I have to believe the man.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beagle1 @ Jan 29 2007, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well you jump, it works. So it's not the solenoid.[/b]

All jumping is doing is connecting the battery cable, doesn't test the solenoid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beagle1 @ Jan 29 2007, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
C-note says there a fuse, I never have seen one before on my electric start Cats, but I have to believe the man.[/b]
According to alpha sport's parts diagram there's a 7.5 amp fuse in there, but I don't see it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you jumping AROUND the solenoid...basically battery to starter direct? Or jumping from the battery positive to the small terminal on the solenoid?

Guess I didn't understand your menaing of "jumping".

If you go from B+ to the small terminal with a jumper wire and nothing happens, The solenoid is likely smoked. Go to the auto parts and get an old fashion Ford one. 1/4 the cost and a lot more rugged.

If you have power to the small wire that triggers the solenoid when you turn the key, than the fuse, if it's in there, is good. You can always check the IGN SW terminal out BEFORE the alledged fuse with a test light to make sure power is coming out of the switch. If it is, but it isn't at the soleniod, you need to find that fuse.

Then you need to find out why it blew. Probably the solenoid.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Beagle! I should have been clear on what I meant by jumping. I will go grab a piece of wire and try it when my boss goes to lunch. If it fires I will tear into the collar where the switch is to check the switch directly. I already bought a new solenoid for it from a member here, but I have around 50 of those old Ford solenoids on my shelf here at work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Downriver Thunder @ Jan 29 2007, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I jumped it and it fired right up. I tore off the collar that houses the switch and found that two of the terminals on the back side of the switch are rusted completely off. Looks like I need a new switch.[/b]

:thumbsup:

:stop_nono: Make sure you put dielectric grease on all your connections when you put it back together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.