Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Jag with 440 fan and single carb. When cold, I can only start the sled by dumping raw gas down the spark plug holes. I think the choke is not working, but no amount of adjusting the cable seems to make a difference. Really tight so the lever barely flips or really loose. Once started and warmed up, it seems to run fine. Any ideas on how I should troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had this too, follw the choke from the console back to a small box behind it. Pull the box apart and when you open it there should be a T shaped piece of plastic with a spring on the l part try not to lose the spring, spray some lube down each of the choke cables and than put some grease inside that box. If that doesnt work do wat rocket said.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. In order to check the choke plunger, should I disconnect the cable from the top of the carb or should I disassemble the carb from the bottom?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, I pulled out the choke plunger and took off the float bowl. Nothing seems to be obviously wrong. I replaced the fuel filter. Still won't start. I have noticed alot of bubbles travelling back the fuel lines both between carb and fuel pump, and between fuel pump and fuel shutoff, after each pull.

Is this normal? Is it possible my fuel pump is fried? Or would these bubbles point at a different problem, maybe a vaccum problem from the motor.

Thanks again for any help with this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought a 95 Jag 440 fan from a guy a month or so ago, and he told me his trick for starting it when it's cold: Open the choke all the way and pull S-L-O-W-L-Y 3 or 4 times, then start to pull a little harder. The times I have started it this way in the garage, it has always worked. He told me that his father-in-law once sprained his wrist from yanking too hard on that sled. I don't know if there is any truth to this trick, or if it will apply to yours, but my experience so far has been that it works very well to just pull it over easy. Also, he told me to make sure to keep the gas shut off at all times, except obviously when running.... I always do this anyway, but others may not. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this same problem on my old v-max after I had really opened up the air box. I would have to manually choke it by covering up the airbox opening with my hand...it worked!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a further update, I replaced the fuel pump and it still won't start (but no more bubbles in the gaslines). I have no idea where to go next with this problem except to the dealer with check book in hand....

Is it possible the carb floats are saturated keeping the gas level too low in the float bowl?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and one other thing, the motor compression is about 110 on both sides. It should be pulling vaccum?

·
Registered
569 Posts
sounds like the low speed circut is plugged. Does it start any easier if you hold the throttle fully closed and let off the gas once it starts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts