Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the fall I replaced the drive shaft bearings on my wife’s 2000 ZL580 ESR. We finally got enough snow today for me to test it out. When I apply the break I can hear a clunk in the chain case. I checked for play by moving the brake disc back and forth. When I move it back and forth I can here the clunk and it seems there is too much play. When I replaced the bearings I followed the instructions to a T and all the gears look good, so I'm not sure what went wrong. When I put the chain adjuster back, the chain looked like it had the proper tension. Could the chain adjuster be bad or it didn't auto adjust correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds like you have far too much slack in your chain.
Does your reverse kit have the auto-tensioner for the chain?
If so, did you remember to tighten the spring within the tensioner and lock it in place prior to installing the chain. Once the chain is back in place, unlock the tensioner and the spring will unwind, pushing the tensioner arm/bearing against the chain.

When you removed the chain to pull the gears and driveshaft the tensioner would have completely unwound leaving you with zero spring load until reset.

The cure:
Find the appropriate sized wrench to back the tensioner out of the front of the chaincase.
Now find a small bolt that will thread into the lock hole on the side of the tensioner. Now rewind the spring and once tight snug up the small bolt. Re-install the tensioner into the cover using some silicone sealer on the threads. Remove the lock bolt. And you're done.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
my powder special was clunken and when id give it alot of gas it would jump and cluunk realy bad, turns out i had a tensioner broke off , but i took it out and had enough on my other tensioner to make up for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found the clunking sound. Both keyways on the jack shaft for the clutch and disc brake have play in them. I don't think they should have any play.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the same issue.

Replaced the drive shaft bearings and afterwards got a nice clunk when I hit the brakes.

I also replaced the keys in the keyway thinking this was the problem.

Wrong (in my case anyway). Did not help.

Still had the clunk. My two cents, the other fellas are right, I think it is the chain\tensioner.

Look at it this way; you didnt have the clunk before the bearing replacement and you had the same keys in the keyways so it has to be the last thing you changed, which leads back to the chain\chaincase and tensioner.

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the auto chain tensioner out again and let it thread all the way out and then turned it back in. I put the set screw in to hold the screw, reinstalled the tensioner and removed the set screw.

Took it for a test drive and I didn't hear the clunk anymore; I think that did the trick.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts