Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Help!! Broken front outter CV??

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Timberwolf 
#1 ·
Hey all,

A friend and i were going out for a lil cruise last Friday to enjoy some of the last warm days. I'll start by saying that neither of us have winches. Anyways, long story short, i got stuck...BAD. With no winches, I pushed the arctic cat hard (a little too hard) trying to get out. Well, I finally did muscle through the slop, but to the expense of some ugly damage.

After inspection, it was obvious when I saw the shredded outter CV boot on the front left tire (when sitting on quad). The CV joint was mangled :angry: Limped it home and called my local AC dealer. There were no service guys at work, so the sales guy I asked told me that I have to replace the ENTIRE axle and both CV's/boots ($350).

HOwever, after a quick search on Ebay, I came across 3 different options.

I can get a full complete axle replacement (axle and both cv's/boots etc) for roughly $250 shipped

Complete Axle

I can get a 'halfshaft' axle replacement (axle and one cv/boot)

HalfShaft Axle

or i can get a replacement outter cv joint and boot for around 100 bucks shipped

CV and boot

Heres some pics I took of the quad this morning...Hopefully they'll help show you what I'm dealing with

[attachment=138736:IMG_4134.JPG]
[attachment=138737:IMG_4137.JPG]

Can someone please tell me if I do infact have to replace the entire axle with both cv's, or if I can get away with just replacing the CV and boot?!?! Also, is there anything to look out for when changing these things? special tools required?

Thank you all very much..any help or info is greatly appreciated!

G

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the sales guy either doesn't know about them OR is trying to get the stealership a few extra dollars. There are good step by step write ups in the pinned section that should be able to help you out while changing it.

If the axel is not broken, you should not have to replace the entire thing. Try "The CV Man". His website can be found a Powershopcentral.com along with several others that sell rebuild kits. You should be able to find what you need there.

#3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JD700EFI @ Nov 8 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds like the sales guy either doesn't know about them OR is trying to get the stealership a few extra dollars. There are good step by step write ups in the pinned section that should be able to help you out while changing it.

If the axel is not broken, you should not have to replace the entire thing. Try "The CV Man". His website can be found a Powershopcentral.com along with several others that sell rebuild kits. You should be able to find what you need there.[/b]

Thanks JD700EFi...I was a lil shocked when the guy at the dealer told me about replacing the entire axle as well...I'll check out that powershopcentral. The links i attached in my original post were to 'thecvman' ebay store. I'm feeling much better now about my situation.

I'll check the 'Pinned' section and see what else i can find. I'll most likely just buy the CV replacement for around 100 bucks shipped from the CV man.

Thanks again!

#4 ·
I was unable to view the links you posted because I am at work and those sites are blocked. Let us know what you get.

#5 ·
from the dealer full axles are all you can get, so he was right. on the cvguys stuff some have good luck but i've heard alot of bad also. best option is buy (or ask/beg for a freebie) a used broken axle from your dealer and put the cv on yours.

#6 ·
Correct, all you can buy at the dealer is the entire axcel BUT if you read the post, he said the dealer said he would have to replace the entire axel, dealer was wrong. BUT it was the sales person, it is possible that the tech. could have given him the correct information and told him he did not need the entire part but that is all they sell.

I have also read and heard about mixed reviews with the CV MAN products. May want to try a different dtore, he seems to be hit or miss with quality parts.

#7 ·
I have the same problem right now. I just need the ring that the bearings ride in any the bearings. But it looks like the cv joint doesn't come with the bearing? (is that correct) So I would atleast have to but the halfshaft?

#8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarbaby2001 @ Nov 8 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the same problem right now. I just need the ring that the bearings ride in any the bearings. But it looks like the cv joint doesn't come with the bearing? (is that correct) So I would atleast have to but the halfshaft?[/b]

What you are looking for may come with a rebuild kit.

#9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 8 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
from the dealer full axles are all you can get, so he was right. on the cvguys stuff some have good luck but i've heard alot of bad also. best option is buy (or ask/beg for a freebie) a used broken axle from your dealer and put the cv on yours.[/b]

I'm heading into the city in a few weeks so I'm going to call their AC dealer and see if they have any broken axles with good CV's left...or let them know to keep one if they get any in the next couple weeks. I thought cvman's parts were OEM? If the cvman's supplies are iffy, is there not a place I can get an Arctic Cat OEM replacement CV and boot?

thanks,
G

#10 ·
I checked cvmans store and he didn't have rebuild kits so I did a bit more searching and EPI has the cv joint for $113 but it doesn't look like it comes with bearings so depending whether or not you still have them that may work for you.
Then have the rebuild kit that I need for about $70.
Has anyone tried axle parts from EPI before?
Thanks for the tip jd7000efi thumbguy

#12 ·
I broke the right side one on mine....
After asking CVMAN repeatedly if this was a "stock replacement" or an upgrade and getting no answer, I bought a new AC one from an online Cat Dealer for $189 plus shipping.

BTI

#13 ·
Well I finally got around to fixing my Cat...after some tinkering and a few swear words, i was able to replace my outter CV joint. I used the EPI replacement CV joint. Fit nicely and seems to be of good quality. I only put on a few miles so I haven't given it a real test but everything seems to be working good so far.

While I was at it, I also installed some factory AC heated thumb/handlebar warmers. After trying them, I don't know how I've gone without them for this long! Love them!

Anyways, thanks to everyone at arcticchat for your help! The Pinned section was a huge help as well!

G

#15 ·
I have never had anything but good luck with joints from the cv man. He has always answered my questions, but I usually call him when I need somthing. I have two of his joints and have no problems at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.