Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 400 4x4 that I used around the yard one day and it worked fine. I parked it an and few days later I went to ride it and it was completely dead like it had no battery in it. I put a different battery in it and still have nothing. I have checked the kill switch, the key is on and I have checked the fuses. Can anybody help me get some life back in my quad bike? Do the kill switches go bad on the ATV's like on the sleds?
Thank you

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
There is also a main 30 amp fuse to check too. It’s not in the main fuse box but may be inside the right rear wheel well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is also a main 30 amp fuse to check too. It’s not in the main fuse box but may be inside the right rear wheel well.
Thank you for getting back to me. I have looked from the motor back and am not seeing any extra fuses. I have removed all of the body parts from the gas tank back looking for a bad connection. I have power through the main 30 amp fuse in the fuse block and power on the positive wire to the starter. I think I will remove the front body parts next to keep looking for a bad wire or connection. What is pulling me that way is that after working on it one time I had forgotten the key on and walking by I noticed that the dash was dimly lit. I turned the key off and nothing has lit since.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Did you check to make sure all the wires are hooked up to the battery ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you check to make sure all the wires are hooked up to the battery ?
I bought this quad bike used and didn't get any manual with it. I am on line looking for a wiring schematic but so far have not found on that I am able to open up without subscribing or making an account.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Countrycat.com under technical, free service manual and wiring diagrams

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Countrycat.com under technical, free service manual and wiring diagrams
Thank You! I am working on it now. It is starting to look like the problem is in the fuse block. I took the ignition swicth apart and ran a jumper wire between the battery and one of the terminals inside of the switch and everything came to life at it started. Put the swicth back together and ran the jumper to one of the fuses on the fuse block and all came to life. I will look at Country Cat. Thank you again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you All for the help. The problem ended up being that a wire corroded so badly in a factory splice connection, located about 3" from the back of the fuse block, that it broke off from the rest of the wires in the splice. I ended up with all off the body ABS parts off of the bike so I could easily get to every connection and to be able to trace out the wires. I had to trim off some of the electrical tape that held all of the wires together in the harness to better trace out individual wires. I re-did the splice and all is working as it should and the quad bike is being put back together. This was unusual luck for me. Normally when something of mine brakes down the repair part is not something in a bench drawer but instead it is the most expansive part the machine and guy at the dealer says "Oh that is odd, I have never seen that go bad before" followed up with " well I don't have that part on hand. It will be shipped from the manufacturer and should be here in a week". Thank you again everybody.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
Good catch!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing