Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Jag for around my property. It had been running great until this yr. It seems to run great out of a heated garage but once left out in the cold it barely runs. It seems to be choking out. The coil, fuel and lines, spark plugs and pump gasket have all be changed. The carb has been cleaned and all seems to be functioning as per specs. Anyone have any suggestions of where I should look next?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
When you say "choking out" does that mean too much fuel? Verify your pilot air screw is out 1 turn as per manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Here is what my mechanic friend says.

Yours is more of a bog. Idle is fine. The pilot air screw only adjusts the idle air fuel mixture.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Rich, or lean bog? Make sure the choke plunger is functioning properly and not sticking open, or closed. Do the plugs and piston wash show a rich, or lean condition? If the choke is functioning properly and it runs better with the choke on, then you know it is a lean condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rich, or lean bog? Make sure the choke plunger is functioning properly and not sticking open, or closed. Do the plugs and piston wash show a rich, or lean condition? If the choke is functioning properly and it runs better with the choke on, then you know it is a lean condition.
Choke is functioning properly not sticking
It doesn't run better with the choke on
It is fouling rich
but after a plug fouls it gets covered in fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is fouling rich
It is fouling rich
The only thing I can think of is the stator or the crank seals.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Crank seal failure would create a lean condition. Is that a single carb, or dual carb set up? If single carb a rich condition should show up in both cylinders. Are both plugs black and wet? When it is running and warmed up, does putting the choke on cause it to stumble and start to stall when at idle? If it doesn't stumble and stall, then the choke is not functioning properly. Stator problems usually show up on a hot engine and do not typically cause issue with cold starts.

The only time I had a similar experience, the sled would start in warm weather but not in cold temps. Pulling the plugs they appeared to be wet, which made me think it was flooding. The problem was my choke plungers were sticking and not opening when going to full choke when starting. The liquid on the plugs was not fuel but water from the engine compression when pulling it over. As soon as I got the choke plungers moving the engine fired right up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts