Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I purchased a 94 ZR 700 off a buddy last year not running for 100 bucks. It bogged down and died on him last year, he changed the plugs and then broke the recoil. I installed a new recoil and new carb boots, both were rotted out. She then fired right up. I checked the fluids to find no coolant :( :( . Filled it up then let her run for awhile to find the coolant I filled up on the floor. A little searching and ebay got me a new front heat exchanger. Installed new heat exchanger, filled it back up no leaks :) Now this leads me to my problem. The right cylinder is sucking in coolant, not a lot but enough to coat the plug. I figured no big deal, pull the heads check the orings. The right cylinder inner oring was cracked, so I replaced the inner and outer o rings that I got from the cat dealer. Torqued it down to spec 18ftlbs, tried again to no avail. I pulled both heads this time to make sure the orings were seated correctly and to check the other cylinder out. The only thing I noticed is little pitting on the top of the sleeves. Do you think this is my issue? Also after pulling the other head and replacing orings the problem now exists in that cylinder as well. Both sleeve walls look great, and pistons apear to be good.

Do you think the little pitting is my problem? If so any cheap fix for this or should I have the Jugs resleeved? Also the more severe pitting is on the cylinder that was working and firing just fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If the cylinder walls are good I bet the heads are warped a little, (probably overheated) You could send them (or take) to a speed shop and have them milled like 30 thousands, That ups the compression a little also, (a benifit) I did this to my 700 for performance. But on my 580, my heads started leaking once and a local cat guru told me to take a very flat and rigid surface, take some sheets of emery cloth, ( I used 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper) And sand the heads in a circular motion and you will see unevenness, keep doing this until there are light sand scratches evenly around the head. I just did this on our other 580 (just bought) when I pulled the heads to check condition of the pistons, It does give you a nice looking clean even surface to start with...... Good Luck......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beaners @ Dec 22 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If the cylinder walls are good I bet the heads are warped a little, (probably overheated) You could send them (or take) to a speed shop and have them milled like 30 thousands, That ups the compression a little also, (a benifit) I did this to my 700 for performance. But on my 580, my heads started leaking once and a local cat guru told me to take a very flat and rigid surface, take some sheets of emery cloth, ( I used 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper) And sand the heads in a circular motion and you will see unevenness, keep doing this until there are light sand scratches evenly around the head. I just did this on our other 580 (just bought) when I pulled the heads to check condition of the pistons, It does give you a nice looking clean even surface to start with...... Good Luck......[/b]
Thank you,

I'll have them milled tomorrow. I have decent compression in both cylinders not great but decent. 115 psi in both. I just want to ride this thing. next time I'm buying something that is running. Kinda sick of playing mr. fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts