Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think this sounds like a great idea, but somewhere I read the snowmobile clutches start to lose efficiency above 10,000 rpm, so a gear reduction is needed between the clutches and the bike engines much higher operating rpm.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snowflake723 @ Dec 31 2006, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you guys think we'll ever see a Hayabusa engine in a Cat anytime soon. Maybe even a GSX-R Just came to thought I'm just tired of hearing the Yammi boys talk [email protected] ![/b]

Great I can have a stock 1 ton sled from Cat, just like the Yami boys get to ride then. bang your head

·
Registered
467 Posts
Then we could put a yami sticker on it so we could be the favored sled by sno-goer too. :devil_angry:

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (topzr @ Jan 1 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Then we could put a yami sticker on it so we could be the favored sled by sno-goer too. :devil_angry:[/b]
I just wonder why Yami stopped there.
They are so into 4 strokers, and could care less about the weight issue.
So why not just drop a Viper V10 into their sleds....lol Rockerdude

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ok, so Cat had Suzuki design a purpose built 4 stroke because they were thinking of cobbling a street bike engine for the new sleds? NO!

Like the new twin or not (I happen to favor 2 strokes until they are not available anymore), it is what you are going to have for a while (and the derivatives) IMO....

·
Registered
744 Posts
scrat600, I guess you didn't interpret my post right. I do not favor 4 strokes personally, and would never buy a "Yammi no suspension having tank." At least Cat is still going to offer 2 strokes for quite some time yet. I hope to own the last one.

The point was that- Cat (Suzuki) purposely developed a 4 stroke to work in sleds and with what they believe their needs will be, and not try to "fit" a street bike engine into a sled, like the RX1 was. Maybe I'm more clear now... I dunno

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just wonder why anyone would want to go so backwards in technology.
If say yami built a competitive 4 stroke sled sure....but they brag about the new lightweight phazer, which is really just the same as a comparable old style sled in weight....but it makes a pathetic 80hp, giving it the power to weight ratio of say an M7 with one plug wire pulled off.
If they had say 150 hp in the phazer at the current weight, then they could honestly say its a competitive sled.
Or take the apex at 150 hp, it weighs as much by itself, as say an M8 with the rider aboard....and the same power is all.
So if I wanted a 2 up touring sled, or an easy rider cruiser maybe, where weight seems irrelative fine, I might by a 4 stroke.
But for now while I am young enough to play hard, and lightweight, and big power is important to me.
I will only have 2 strokes thanks very much.

Possibly one day yami will build a sled for those of us who care about performance.

·
Registered
978 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I just wonder why anyone would want to go so backwards in technology.
If say yami built a competitive 4 stroke sled sure....but they brag about the new lightweight phazer, which is really just the same as a comparable old style sled in weight....but it makes a pathetic 80hp, giving it the power to weight ratio of say an M7 with one plug wire pulled off.
If they had say 150 hp in the phazer at the current weight, then they could honestly say its a competitive sled.
Or take the apex at 150 hp, it weighs as much by itself, as say an M8 with the rider aboard....and the same power is all.
So if I wanted a 2 up touring sled, or an easy rider cruiser maybe, where weight seems irrelative fine, I might by a 4 stroke.
But for now while I am young enough to play hard, and lightweight, and big power is important to me.
I will only have 2 strokes thanks very much.

Possibly one day yami will build a sled for those of us who care about performance.[/b]
Amen!

·
Registered
451 Posts
The twin spar chassis will not accomodate a 4 stroke Hyabusa. The Artic Engineers felt like using this engine would compromise the center of gravity and asked the Engine design team to design a new 4 stroke engine from the ground up that would have a lower center of gravity and be cleaner from an emissions perspective. Sounds like a no compromise design vs the Yamaha logic of shoe horning a bike engine into a sled. Agree that their will be a turbo in the future for the Z1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts