Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info would b great... I got this bike n a trade and when I did it started fine so I thought nothing else bout it.. got it home and stated to ride and I noticed it was popping and backfiring when I get on it.. when I give it full throttle it runs like ****.. it had one codes sc98 so I disconnected the battery and charged it and took the ecu and cleaned it up put back together and erased the code then another code popped up AC 13 14 15 21 and it will not start now... please post with any info Thanks

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Check your intake boot off the throttle body sounds like its cracked.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Code 98 is a failure in the communication between the Computer (ECU)
and the Pod.

Did you wash the machine when you first got it, if so you
probably got some connections wet, The 13,14,15 and 21 codes
are your Manifold Absolute pressure sensor, Throttle Position sensor
Engine coolant Temperature sensor, and 21 is Inlet air temp sensor.
The Thudercat is very sensative to water getting into the connectors
and they all need to be cleaned with Contact cleaner, Blown dry
with compressed grease then smeared with Die Electric grease
to keep moisture out, that goes for all the connectors on the
bike including the connectors on the back of the pod, the wires
to the ECU - So this means every connector on the bike.

Since it won't start, change the spark plugs to NGK plugs, if it
has Champion plugs, replace them with NGk.

Search this site and the Highlifter Forums concerning
the Thundercat to learn all you can about this finicky machine,
Once you learn how to live with it the thing is more fun than
you can imagine.

JERRY

On Arctic Chat - Quadman15
On Highlifter - T Cat 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ran when I first got it just ran bad.... so I tried the plugs and stuff... now it even start and those other codes popped up... I'm gonna try cleaning all connections and using that dielectric grease and hope it works... it a *** beast n I ain't beeb able to ride it like a 1000 needs to b rode lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still no luck I'm at a loss... can n e one give me a clue I'm stumped help please
Still no power? OR it will just not start? I have the same 08 tcat. No issues except for the normal starter problem.

Did you check all of the electronics? everything connected correctly?

Clean all of the electronics with dry rag to see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Still no power? OR it will just not start? I have the same 08 tcat. No issues exceptfor the normal starter problem.

Did you check all of the electronics? everything connected correctly?

Clean all of the electronics with dry rag to see if that helps.
normal starter problem

The starter upgrade worked for me,

If you are having starting problems do the 24 volt starter/ 2 battery
thing, It really makes the machine start up quickly.

Papa Slap is a member of the Highlifter forum, you can pull up
the wiring schematic on that forum under his name.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Have you checked the kill switch? I know it sounds stupid but I have seen guys have trouble only to find the kill switch needed a giggle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well it will turn over just no spark at the coil either one.... i took the ecu off and was just cleaning all the connections off and ever since then it will not crank... i also have 2 batterys on it... and i live n leesville la

·
Registered
751 Posts
The reason I ask your location is to possible recommend someone to take it to. to have it checked out. or bring it to me. Am a couple of hours from you. (But I now a Arctic Cat Master Tech) that may be closer to you. I have spoke with him several time and I trust him. I'll check his location and get you his number. I't my be worth a check out fee to find out the problem.

I read your last post and would like to know how fast the motor is turning over. if the motor is turning over slow the stator will not put out enough voltage for the CDI to fire the coils. The ignition on these atv's runs strictly off the Stator and if it is not turning over fast enough there is no fire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its turning over fast.. at least I think it is... and yes right now I would pay whatever LOL... I really want my bike running... just so weird it was running then just all of sudden no more... just makes no sense to me..

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
The reason I ask your location is to possible recommend someone to take it to. to have it checked out. or bring it to me. Am a couple of hours from you. (But I now a Arctic Cat Master Tech) that may be closer to you. I have spoke with him several time and I trust him. I'll check his location and get you his number. I't my be worth a check out fee to find out the problem.

I read your last post and would like to know how fast the motor is turning over. if the motor is turning over slow the stator will not put out enough voltage for the CDI to fire the coils. The ignition on these atv's runs strictly off the Stator and if it is not turning over fast enough there is no fire.
Can someone else confirm that the electronics run strictly off the
stator not the battery. I ask, not to chastize the person who
posted this information, just need to know for sure for another
project I have going on.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Administrator
37,164 Posts
project I have going on.

Thanks,

Jerry
Texasrapier is a cat tech he knows his stuff!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
project I have going on.

Thanks,

Jerry
Just so you know. It is also what is called a Wasted Spark Ignition System. What this means is the coil fires every time the engine comes up on TOP Dead Center. Not just on the compression stroke.

The reason for this is of course "Money" it would require extra sensors and a more complex controller. Or the ignition input would have to be taken from cam verses the crankshaft.

Of course you know the cam make one rotation to every two crankshaft rotations.

This does make engine assembly much easier since you can't assemble the engine 180 degrees out from ignition timing.

Of course this goes with my old saying.

If you can’t bewilder them with brain, baffle them with B.S.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts