Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Guys & Gals,
I just acquired an Artic Cat 700 efi but I have only seen it from the outside. I don't even have it in my driveway yet but here is what I know and what have been told. I don't even know the year yet. It is a big machine, grey in color, shifter on the left front fender next to the gas tank if that helps at all. I will know more later today probably

A local ATV rental place owned it. It's a small shop with about 6-8 units. The business has been open about 3 years and this ATV has been sitting there, unused for 2 years so I finally asked about it.

What I was told is it is backfiring but it will run and that is why it has not been used at all. My first thought is go thru and do a complete tune up first and then check for air leaks on the intake system.

Has anyone had this issue with their 700's or any suggestions as to where I should start?

Sorry so vague with this first post. I will know more once I start get it and start troubleshooting. Kinda hoping someone has a story to tell and I can get this thing fixed without a bunch of head scratching.

And for those wondering, I picked it up for $500. Good deal or did I buy a lemon? Once I know the year and model, I will post and also order the service manual unless someone as a digital copy they want to share. ;)

Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The good news is this was the only Artic Car the rental company owned so it has not been robbed for parts. haha

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Gas tank is in the rear of the machine, not the front.
As for the $500, depends on the condition.
Once you find out the year you can download a service manual for free from countrycat.com . They are under the technical section at the bottom of the home page. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's right, I did notice that about the gas tank. Thanks for the reminder, I guess I'm just used to the normal hump being the tank. lol

Still looking over the topics here on the site. Lot's of info here but not finding backfiring yet.

Thanks for the link on the manuals! That will help a bunch.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Change the plug... depends on the year... check the TPS & IAC, clean the spark arrestor.
Forgot to add,,, change the oil (use wet clutch safe oil) and both differential fluids... clean& oil the air filter.

Reactions: dajain

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Full tune up is first on the agenda.

Being a rental company and knowing the owner, I know he tries to keep up with maintenance, but some thing fall thru the cracks. And once they break down, they kinda get put on the back burner. Like this one sitting for 2 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the countrycat website and it says the site can't be found. Is it still up and running and just my connection?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a battery, put it in it and turned the key. Unlike what he said was wrong with it, it started right up and sounded good. No Backfiring!

I think he was confused with another machine, BUT what is wrong with this machine is the shifting lever or the mechanism under the side cover. It will only go into reverse and neutral and the shifting is floating around.

My guess is a renter was ramming and jamming the shifter and broke the shifting fork under the side cover. I did download the service manual and have been looking at the shifting components under there and the fork looks like a weak link if abused.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
700's need a strong battery.Don't think the shift fork is weak, so if you fix, should be fine. Bet you are right about renters abusing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The battery I had lying around was from a 1200 cc motorcycle so I figured it would be good enough for now for testing purposes.

I didn't mean to imply that the shifting fork was a weak part on this thing, but when I look at the photos in the service manual, it looks like it would be a part that would break first with hard abuse. Being a rental, I can just imagine a renter backing up and then slamming it into high to try and do a wheelie. Like they say with rentals, "Drive it like ya stole it!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI
The ECU retards the timing when in reverse. Spitting and popping is a normal safety feature in reverse.
Maybe that's why he said it was always backfiring....Because it only goes in reverse right now. lol

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Check the diodes in the fuse box. Sounds like someone flipped a diode.

Reactions: dajain

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.

I have the machine at my house now and took few minutes to investigate what the real problem is with this machine. Since it was found to have shifting issues, I wanted to check it out. My real concern was the transmission was shot and would need replacement

1. Put the key in the ignition and it started right up. Sounded good, no backfiring or missing. Sounds good at idle.

2. Found neutral after several attempts. Wanted to stay in reverse like it did when I first played with it. In neutral, I gave it a pushes of the throttle and sounds perfect. "That's a good sign" I'm thinking to myself.

3. Play with the shifter on the side of the case. Again, nothing but reverse but then, somehow, I got it into high gear. Left it there and took it for a ride. Wow, lots of power and nothing wrong with the motor. It's a fun machine to ride.

4. Goy it back to the shop and played with the shifter again. Very sporadic and unpredictable on gear selection.

Conclusion I come up with:
Engine is fine, just needs maintenance.
Transmission is good.
Problem has been narrowed down to that small section under the side cover of the mechanical shifting such as the shifting fork. I'm hoping it's not the aluminum housing that holds the shifting fork pin.

Any other insights would be helpful, but my next post will probably be after the cover is off and I see the broken pieces. I'll post pictures too!

Thanks for the reply guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts