Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have both 97' 550 cougar the 550 is smooth running and clucthing is great. The 94' 580 is in a EXT mountin cat starts first pull drinks to much oil but a constant runner this motor sounds loppy and seems to make its power on top. i notice i trail ride the 550 smoothly at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle now the 580 same thing but blip the gas more as it's more of a choppy **** down low. the clutching on these is red spring primary and yellow secondary. helix are different i assume. is this the difference a 580 made a crappier ride i see no power inprovements in the 580 nil to none. anyone chime in on this im wondering if my 580 timing is off or i have play now the 550 is 135psi both side's 20hrs on new SPI's the ext had a top end stock pistons 2 years ago we have also had almost no snow in the past 2 years so id say 80 hrs on this top end and still 135 both sides. considering these motors share bottom ends 580 runs odly different to me.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That 580 is a bridged single port exhaust. The next year they came with the 3 port and different tranfer ports. The newer motor made better power and had a different expansion chamber. Your 2 motors are not much different and they need to be jetted perfect to make good power. A clutch kit in the 580 will make a lot of difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any clutching you would reccomend? I have a few spring for the primary mostly noticed the higher engagment but the speed was improved I have a green/yellow cat, a cat purple and a polaris blue with white stripe thats the strongest one i got.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Is the jetting set up good on the 580? It is a bit of a waste clutch tuning if the engine is well tuned first. I don't have problems with my 580 being choppy at low speeds and I can putt along at low speeds without having to blip the throttle, and mine is the triple exhaust port cylinders and bigger carbs. Your clutches may be sticking and you may need cleaning and servicing of them. If the sled is using too much oil, you can adjust the oil pump.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
jetting right now is 320 main(0 to +20){down from 340 (0 to-20)} stock pilot and 1 turn out air mixture. my slide needle is in the 3rd position with both shims on top so i'm just a bit leaner than stock on my slides. oil was past the line now adjusted to the line. but not a big change there its still stinks and uses a good amount of oil. I haven't had time to check the ratio but last i checked my pistons were still shiny but improving some didnt ride it long enough yet to re check the piston wash. also this sled had a bum clutch when i got it. had the cat 108c with the round cover sheves had cracks I have a older comet/cat 108c of my old 89 pantera on it now new red spring secondary has the yellow. this clutch was clean and has new weights 50.5 no notch on these was told the notch is harder on clutches so i skipped it. only thing this clutch could definatly use is new weight bolts/pins these have some slight groves and one is groved a slight bit more than the others. this sled id fast just not at all as smooth running as my 97 550. I think I will look at the timing when i get a flywheel puller this spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts