Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my old man bought a 1000 CF this fall and we had a good trip this past weekend however 1 problem became obvious in the -12 celcius temps, THAT THING IS LIKE ROPE STARTING A TRACTOR!!!!!!! Its to the point where dad has made up a second recoil hand with a snap hook so both people hauling it over can have a handle each. Is there any way to put electic start on this monster? I also heard of an electric coolant heater that is connected to the coolant line and then plugged into an outlet at your house that keeps the coolant warm and thus an easy warm start up. Anyone have any ideas about either?

·
Registered
524 Posts
In cold temps, my X-fire 7 does that some times the next morning after a long and or hard ride....the worst time was when I kept on over heating because there was hardly any loose snow....the next morning I almost ripped my arm off the first pull....took about 8 or 9 pulls to get it loose...and about 15-16 to start because it flooded....never had that much of a problem since...usually 2-3 pulls and starts up but after a long ride 4 or 5, first few pulls are just to loosen it up...

I think there is an electric starter kit out there for the 06's....cost around 700 CDN...I think...but I do not know if it will work on the 07's...

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
your local auto parts store should have coolent heaters at least they do around here check with them .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Big twin always get like that when it's cold. I normally pull it slowly through each compression a few times with the key off just to loosen it up. Then I hit the choke and pull like normal, never fales and it won't rip your arm off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
had( the same problem tryin to pull over my 800 in minus 20-30 i bought a space heater $25 (canadian) and pointed it at the moter 4 a half hour with the tarp over the hood. it was nice and easy to start then :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duluth141m7 @ Jan 26 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Big twin always get like that when it's cold. I normally pull it slowly through each compression a few times with the key off just to loosen it up. Then I hit the choke and pull like normal, never fales and it won't rip your arm off.[/b]
Same here. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mktgway @ Jan 27 2007, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duluth141m7 @ Jan 26 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Big twin always get like that when it's cold. I normally pull it slowly through each compression a few times with the key off just to loosen it up. Then I hit the choke and pull like normal, never fales and it won't rip your arm off.[/b]
Same here. :beer_cheers:
[/b][/quote]

Me too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two years ago i owned a zr 700 w/ power breather and a clutch kit and not once did i have problem starting it even 12 below. It never got much colder than that and when we had snow i was on that thing every day and i rode it hard, a solid two pulls would get it cranking but idk maybe i just got lucky!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pulling over the CF7 is much tougher than my ZRT600. Both sleds always start on second pull, if it is chillin I will also give it a few turn-overs first with the key off.
I have read before where some guys will loosen the engine up by turning it over a few time, using the clutch so as to not break the rope on a frosty engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
started mine this weekend at -20 seemed eiaser then my 900. nabours f1000 lxr would not turn over like the old zrt at -35 had to put it in heat. maybe the engine was loaded up when you turned it off. love this sled but having trouble getting hook up in this light snow. what snow there is.
jd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts