Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago my friend and I wanted to go riding, so he comes to my house and I try to start my sled up. It was about 10 degrees out and it took me and my dad to start it because my friend is a weakling, and that with both of us pulling on the rope. Is it supposed to start this hard? Even when it was 60 degrees out when we bought it it was hard to pull. I can pull it out 3 or 4 inches and it just seems to stay there. Then I really have to make my muscle bulge and even then its really hard. It pulls alittle easier when I pull the rope away from the sled but even then its a Bitc% to start. I've opened the hood and checked around the place where the rope goes in (my memory of sled parts sucks today) but don't really know why its happening. Any ideas or suggestions? Also, it looks like the rope is starting to fray alittle. What is a good stronger replacement rope?

Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
What I do is spray some lube down the recoil area. Will start with about 1 hand. Even greater if u can open it up and grease it, not sure if thats a good idea or not but thats wat I do and havnt had a problem with in the 4 years Ive been doing it.

Oh and mine did this once, I washed my engine down with the hose when it was 50 degrees out, left it out over night, of course my luck it snowed and dropped to about -5 degrees, froze the engine, couldnt even pull the rope. Had to put it in the heated shop for a few hours and than once I got it started let it run for about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cody, after school tommorow spray some stuff down there. Thanks. Anybody have any suggestions for a recoil rope?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I remember reading something about a Fantom recoil rope that supose to have like a 5000 lb burst rate, most stock ones are like 1600 lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two years back my AC ZL600efi became very hard to pull over. Everything looked fine. I removed the recoil start and cleaned and lubricated it, etc. No change. On one long trip the solution came to light when my drive clutch would not disengage. When I got back home and checked it out, the large nut holding the clutch spider in place had slipped, chrushing several shims and bringing the clutch sheaves together thereby placing tension on the drive belt. Had to replace the drive clutch. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old Topic but my sled is still pretty hard to start in temps below about 25 degrees. Is there anyone else who knows what could be wrong or how to fix it. My sled can't be this hard to start when others say they can start their EFI ZRs with two or three pulls in very cold temps....

Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
When its -20 degrees celsius or more outside it usually take about 4-5 pulls until you can pull it freely...When it first fires, then its ok.....Otherwise 2 pulls everytime for my 99 zl 600efi :D

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
How's your belt tension? Adding a shim to the secondary might help if it's a little on the tight side. One tip I saw was to push the belt down into the secondary when you park it so there is no extra tension on the primary when you try to start it up. The cold will shrink the belt as it sits over night. If you gave this a try it could at least eliminate whether that's your problem or not.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
just put a new stock rope on it they do wear out.
and add a lot of meat and potatoes cook slowly
and eat . it will pull a little better after every meal.

I had to do the same for my Tcat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts