Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 2003 660trail 4stroke, sometimes when i go to start it, it will crank and crank then finally fire after a while of cranking. it seems like it fires on one cylinder first then finally picks them all up. it cranks over fast and the battery is good. lately while driving it will cut out for a second then pick right back up. i heard that there is a relay(ignition relay?) in the fuse box that could cause it to start hard as it is. does anyone know if this can also cut it out when driving, or what it could be. i hate throwing unneeded parts at it lol i recently had it at the dealer (for a different problem) and i asked them to check the external coils for me, they said they did and they r fine(so they say) so iv kinda ruled out a bad coil.

thanks in advance
Forwell

·
Registered
211 Posts
The symptoms do sound like ignition but this could very well be a fuel problem. If you have a pump going bad it will take a bit of cranking before the pressure reaches injection levels. It will pick up the first nozzle then the next and so on. Low fuel pressure may also cause intermittent issues while riding. As for the ignition you may be looking at a relay but check things on that circuit over good before condemning the relay. Before I would proceed with that, I would test fuel pressure. Hook up the gauge then turn the key on and turn it over and see how fast the pressure rises. It should come to operating pressure quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to the HARD START WHEN WARM CLUB

Check this out,

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/4-strokes/331754-1100-jag-hard-start-when-warm.html

I have spent north of $1,300.00 on this problem.

New fuel pump......Check........Nope:Bangin:
New Stador...........Check........Nope:Bangin:
New Cam Sensor....Check........Nope:Bangin:
Reseal the Idle Possition sensor....Check......Nope:Bangin:

Next I will replace the Cam sensor again and install new coils.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah mine has gotten worst, in fact, it won't even start.
I dropped it off at the dealer (and i mean DROP IT... I'm so fed up) I asked them to drive it like they stole it when they think its fixed, and then call me. I'll keep you up to date!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I pick up my sled from the dealer on Wednesday, just before an 800 miles loop to SmoothRock falls and back to Sudbury. The sled started perfect every single time! From operating temp. to -25C.

When i picked up the sled, I got the low down from Dan in the shop. He said I was close when I was trying my buddies Cam Sensor, and the reason it wouldnt start with it, was because although the front of the Cam Sensor plug looked good, the center wire was actually frayed inside the plug. Once the wire was repaired he was able to get a perfect voltage response and the sled fired right up! :)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Congrats on the fix! What dealer was this at?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts