Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to ride the beast. This sled rocks. :sledder: Put on over 350 miles in Eagle River area. I was getting in the 14 mpg range, now I did some runs at 90+ and once up to 100. Sled is completely stock except for studding. Most riding was trail riding and at 55 mph. I liked everything about the sled except the cold start Saturday morning. badcomputer Now I'm not a little guy at 260 lbs. but in the cold weather you need both hands to pull it over. The problem is you need three hands, two to pull and one to open the throttle. It would not start without opening the throttle. Now Arctic Cat says this is not a problem, but when you have to have either three hands or wedge something in to open throttle it can't be good. :sos:

·
Registered
86 Posts
you have to open the throttle on my 800 to witch is not right 4 an efi if u find a solution to this let me know. as 4 it being to hard to pull over i find mine hard at around -30 so i bought a space heater around $25 at crapy tire and put it under the hood with the cover on the sled after half an hour or so started perfect :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
ITS A PROBLEM WITH THE THROTTLE SAFETY POSITION ON THE CABLE. THE THROTTLE CABLE GETS SLACK AND YOU HAVE TO HOLD IT OPEN A LITTLE TO START IT.

YOU CAN ADJUST THIS, BUT IT IS A REAL PAIN, ESPECIALLY ON THE TRAIL! I'D HAVE THE DEALER DO IT.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME LAST WEEK IN THE UP AND I TOOK IT TO A DEALER, HE THREW ME THE WRENCHES AND SAID "YOU DO IT"! HA SAVED SOME MONEY, BUT IT TOOK ABOUT A 1/2 HOUR FOR A LAYMAN LIKE ME.

YOU ALMOST HAVE TO TAKE THE PIPE OFF AND THE CABLE ADJUSTER IS UNDER IT.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i had that done at the dealer he said that was the problem but it never fixed it unless they didn't do it right witch wouldn't suprise me i should check it out again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nazgul @ Feb 1 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ITS A PROBLEM WITH THE THROTTLE SAFETY POSITION ON THE CABLE. THE THROTTLE CABLE GETS SLACK AND YOU HAVE TO HOLD IT OPEN A LITTLE TO START IT.

YOU CAN ADJUST THIS, BUT IT IS A REAL PAIN, ESPECIALLY ON THE TRAIL! I'D HAVE THE DEALER DO IT.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME LAST WEEK IN THE UP AND I TOOK IT TO A DEALER, HE THREW ME THE WRENCHES AND SAID "YOU DO IT"! HA SAVED SOME MONEY, BUT IT TOOK ABOUT A 1/2 HOUR FOR A LAYMAN LIKE ME.

GOOD LUCK![/b]
I'll have to give that a try. Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nazgul @ Feb 1 2007, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

GOOD LUCK![/b]
I disagree with this...my sled has the same issue with starting sometimes. But it does not seem like a thottle cable problem. It seems to almost catch a couple of times and then flood itself. THEN I have to open the thottle to get it. If it was a TPS you think it would be a consistant problem. I think it is a ECU mapping issue...hence the melted panel/fireball at idle issues I have also had. The TPS could be an issue for some though.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I have had no problems with mine yet, but I only have 200 miles on it so far and no temps below zero degrees. Next week were going north and temps will be well below zero. I will find out then. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine is the same way seems to catch then will not go with out cracking the throttle but it is not flooding out because when i take the plugs out they are dry as a bone. put new plugs iin tryed a cuple hauls took them out looked exactly they did when i put them in shiny and dry. then i crack the throttle and and one or two hauls and she goes. i work 6 days and am off for 6 so for a while i would leave my sled at the dealer for the 6 days i was workin so it has been there a total of 18 days this winter and they can't figer out y it dose this so if any one dose please let me know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine is the same way seems to catch then will not go with out cracking the throttle but it is not flooding out because when i take the plugs out they are dry as a bone. put new plugs iin tryed a cuple hauls took them out looked exactly they did when i put them in shiny and dry. then i crack the throttle and and one or two hauls and she goes. i work 6 days and am off for 6 so for a while i would leave my sled at the dealer for the 6 days i was workin so it has been there a total of 18 days this winter and they can't figer out y it dose this so if any one dose please let me know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bajafirecat @ Jan 31 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Finally got to ride the beast. This sled rocks. :sledder: Put on over 350 miles in Eagle River area. I was getting in the 14 mpg range, now I did some runs at 90+ and once up to 100. Sled is completely stock except for studding. Most riding was trail riding and at 55 mph. I liked everything about the sled except the cold start Saturday morning. badcomputer Now I'm not a little guy at 260 lbs. but in the cold weather you need both hands to pull it over. The problem is you need three hands, two to pull and one to open the throttle. It would not start without opening the throttle. Now Arctic Cat says this is not a problem, but when you have to have either three hands or wedge something in to open throttle it can't be good. :sos:[/b]
Hi are you still having problems with cold start mine did the same but has gone away for now i'm 220 and my 1000xfsp at - 28 cel. two guys to pull it yet my brothers same sled three pulls i now have 500 has been starting fine see my post on the sticky **** i believe that the oil is becoming sticky and hardens or some motors are just too tight and need to loosen up i'm giving AC till 1000 miles i wonder if BLUE MARBLE would work better

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have had quite a few issues with my sled... but starting has not been a problem even @ -28*F

I don't consider myself strong but when I start the sled in cold weather I just pull on the handle easy a couple of times to "loosen up" the motor. After this is accomplished, usually it will fire on the 1st pull after the "prep"... if not the 2nd.

Give it a try.... someone recommended it to me and I have done it on all my sleds. :beer_cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts