Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddies 2004 400 quad orginally wouldn't start at all. i took carb apart and found main needle stuck into seat. i had to pry it out. took rest of carb apart, let stuff soak in carb cleaner bucket and reassembled with new seat and gaskt. it had alot of green slime crap in it. now it starts and runs but only if you prime it with primer on the carb. choke seems to work fine then and has plenty of power and idles good. but if you let it sit for a while and try to start it normally with choke or without, it will not start. it doesn't even try to start. you hit the primer once or twice and it takes off. i've cleaned alot of carbs but i am no carb expert. does someone know what i should be specifically looking for on why it seems to loose prime. any help would be appreciated. (i also put a new air valve and seal in and i set it at what the old one was at 1 1/2 turns out)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Helps to use a small wire to clean all the passages in the carb, and use compressed air. Since you had to pry the needle off the seat and it was full of green stuff I would say there is something still plugged in the carb. Also make sure the the o-ring and washer are in the right spot on the air screw.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts