Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should be the correct voltage going to the handle bar heaters on a 98-2000 ZR ?

Mine seem to work in the garage, but they don't get warm enough when riding.

They measure 11 volts when switched to high, and 5-6 volts when switched to low.

They never worked correctly in the cold from day one.

I checked the ohms, and everything is correct, within the limits.

Any idea's ???

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Either you are measuring the voltage in the wrong spot or you have a wiring problem. You should always have the same voltage no matter what the switch position. At idle you may have 11V but should be closer to 13 when you rev the engine (lights get brighter when you rev it up?) You should have 13ish V between green/white and yellow with the switch on high and read between 7.2 and 8.8 ohms when unpluged giving you about 21 watts of heat. You should also have 13ish volts between green/black and yellow with the switch on low and read between 12.6 and 15.4 ohms when unplugged giving you about 12 watts of heat.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wayne from Pontypool @ Feb 5 2007, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Either you are measuring the voltage in the wrong spot or you have a wiring problem. You should always have the same voltage no matter what the switch position. At idle you may have 11V but should be closer to 13 when you rev the engine (lights get brighter when you rev it up?) You should have 13ish V between green/white and yellow with the switch on high and read between 7.2 and 8.8 ohms when unpluged giving you about 21 watts of heat. You should also have 13ish volts between green/black and yellow with the switch on low and read between 12.6 and 15.4 ohms when unplugged giving you about 12 watts of heat.[/b]

I double checked everything, and the ohm readings are within spec. , at idle I have about 12.56 volts, but as I rev the motor up, the voltage drops to 11.0-11.5 volts, the lights don't seem to get brighter,or dimmer, when reving the motor. And I never blew a bulb out anywhere.

The heaters get warm to the touch, but you can't feel them on when riding, even when on high.

My old polaris and old arctic cat had better heaters, always rode them on low heat.

I even switched out handlebars with heaters from another sled, and still the same thing.

Do you think a bad voltage regulator would do this ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts