Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I leave the hand warners on, while the bike is idling, the bike slowly revs down and then stalls. Turn them off and the bike idles no problem. Would this be a short or is it a sign that the battery is weak? The electric start works fine; not slow or anything.

The hand warmers are wired directly to the battery.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Hand warmers only draw about 5amps at most, so it should not be interfering with your machine's ability to run. Do you have an inline fuse for those warmers (the right answer is yes here....).

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Dec 20 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hand warmers only draw about 5amps at most, so it should not be interfering with your machine's ability to run. Do you have an inline fuse for those warmers (the right answer is yes here....).[/b]

+1!

But I would ALSO due a "load test" on your battery. It should be sitting at 12.3-13 volts sitting and 14-14.5 when the bike is running. Put a gauge on it and start turning things on.

If the VOLTAGE drops to under 10volts:
1. YES the battery is shot
2. you COULD have a BAD stator (alternator on bikes) that's NOT charging your battery up.

The bike should be able to run (idle) at the 10-11volt range if your quad is EFI.

Your never stated if it WAS EFI or how it started - slowly or normally......w/the warmers off
my2cents

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is an 04 400 carb and it starts fine. I should mention that I also put a new set of headlights in tonight. Two new 885 GE bulbs. Couldn't find the wattage of them, but the issue only occurs when the hand warmers are on. Maybe the bulbs are too high a wattage and with the hand warmers on, it is just too much?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cupsz71 @ Dec 20 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Dec 20 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hand warmers only draw about 5amps at most, so it should not be interfering with your machine's ability to run. Do you have an inline fuse for those warmers (the right answer is yes here....).[/b]

+1!

But I would ALSO due a "load test" on your battery. It should be sitting at 12.3-13 volts sitting and 14-14.5 when the bike is running. Put a gauge on it and start turning things on.

If the VOLTAGE drops to under 10volts:
1. YES the battery is shot
2. you COULD have a BAD stator (alternator on bikes) that's NOT charging your battery up.

The bike should be able to run (idle) at the 10-11volt range if your quad is EFI.

Your never stated if it WAS EFI or how it started - slowly or normally......w/the warmers off
my2cents
[/b][/quote]

I just did a load test pn the battery and itis reading "good" (analog gauge) and slightly better when running. Turned everything on and it dropped slightly but still was good. And of course this time, after running for 15 mins with hand warmers on and off there were no issues. Gremlins I guess.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i was going to say that shouldnt bother it,, i run htd grips, thumbwarmer, (4) 50w headlamps from pia, i also have htd seat,vest and footwarmers with a 4 zone controller and i also ran my winch, 2 led whelen strobes and a high powerd yellow strobe for 11 hrs today no issues what so ever.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
your stator puts out far more power then that of a 400/

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The Magneto on the 400 puts out a maximum of 220 amps at 5000 RPM. This is roughly 16 amps of power. At less RPM is safe to assume that the magneto puts out much less power, maybe 1/2 of the total output at 2500 RPM, about 8 amps or 120 watts.

Now if your had warmers draw 5 amps (60 watts) and your four 50 watt bulbs draw 14.5 amps or 200 watts,then the total load from these two devices is about 19.5 amps or 260 watts. Add in the load for the rear tail lamp, ignition system, stop lamp, and the ECU which may equal another 40-60 watts and it's pretty easy to understand why it's killing your bike. You are consuming more energy then your magneto is providing at low RPM. Once battery voltage gets below the threshold voltage of the ECU the engine dies.

The 500's 650's and larger engines have magnetos that deliver more wattage about 25 amps or about 350 watts maximum. Thus the reason they have less problems with the same accessories.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts