Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post come here for advice.

Last wed(1/17/07) i bought a 2007 h1 LE from my dealer. I got home and could not ride my wife had to leave for business trip the next day, I had to help her get ready. So reluntantly i put it in my barn and closed the doors. Thursday (1/18-07) I got off work went out to check her out. I had to check out all the buttons got to the winch it did not work just made a clicking noise, traced wires back it was not hooked up. I was like ok, well then proceded to check oil. It did not have enough oil it was barely on bottom of dipstick not even to low mark. I did not start the atv left it alone and kicked the dog ( not really but i would have thought about it if I had one, wife only wants a cat.) Friday(1/19/06) went to dealer told them it had low oil hoping they would just give me a quart. No luck the guy who ownes the place was at a race with grandson. His mother works there she proceded to tell me how to check the oil. I was nice and told her we have 5 arctic cat atv's all bought from you and i know how to check the oil. I got mad stormed out. After work i went home and put some oil in it. We have oil at the house. Finally i thought i was going to ride my toy. Cranked it up man this thing was nice 2 days of waiting and finally she's purring. I eased around the barn thinking of heading through the woods, so i called my bro asked if he wanted to ride awile? We got his out left mine idleing dash starting flashing going crazy. THIS THINGS RUNNING HOT NOW. I am so mad cut it off in a hurry. Checked the radiator no coolant whatsoever. Now im going to dealer on Monday and I want a new machine.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a different dealer. bang your head

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sounds like your dealer never did a PDI on it.... I actually got the checklist, all checked off and signed with my machine.
Find a new dealer...
But, if it was me, I'd fill up the rad on that H1 and see what happens before I got too antsy for a new machine, it might not have hurt anything.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Sounds like your "so called" dealer never did a receiving inspection/prep on your quad before you took delivery. I would take it back to him as is and make him do a full prep on the machine or better yet replace it with a new quad and he could sell that one to some other "sucker". After all of that, I would inform that you were finding a new dealer and would be telling every person that you could about your bad experience at his dealership as you are walking out the door. Word of mouth and bad "press" for a dealership will hurt him more than anything! Hit him where it counts!! nutkick :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the concern. I pretty much already know i've gotta find another dealer. I especially just wanted to take it back before i get two many miles on it. Done been out in the rain this morning in disgust. I just hope everything comes out like i want it a new 650 h1.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
At least you know its not a machine problem, it is a dealer. I was suprised when i saw the post, " H1 problems within 2 miles". I thought the machine broke down, or was falling apart!

·
Registered
55 Posts
All of the stuff you mentioned, was supposed to be done by the dealer. ATV's come shipped in a crate, and the dealer assembles part of it. The dealer is responsible for filling fluids, and lots of other things.

When I picked up my 500, my dealer took me back in the shop, and ran through the checklist a second time, with me watching. One of the reasons I feel I have the best dealer there is. He will bend over backwards to make me happy.

If I was you, I would be calling AC customer care, and let them know that these things were not done properly by your dealer, and I would never buy another thing from them again. There is no excuse at all for improper assembly of a new machine. If it was just a minor little problem, that can happen. But in your case, it sounds like that had someone assembling the machine that either A) didn't care at all, or B) had no idea what they were doing, and no one supervising, or C) just plain stupid, or D) all of the above.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Stories like this are unacceptable, CAT should know about this dealer. Things like this will not helps CAT's image, and this isn't the first time I've read this kind of post on here. If CAT head office does not follow up on dealers like this, then they will only have themselves to blame in the long run.

Hopefully you get a new bike, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck in the future - hopefully you find a good dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
i hate to play the devil's advocate, but if they did a half-a$$ job on the fluids, then what other short cuts did they take? are your lugnuts tight? handlebars? tie rods?

bring it back

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Someone said that the dealer adds fluids to the machines. I'm not certain if that's true. When I spoke to my dealer, he advised that AC delivered the machines already filled. The dealer just ensures that the fluids are at the correct levels when he receives the machine from AC.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
yep my dealer told me that they have to charge a batt and install, put tires (allready mounted on rims) on machine, check the fluid levels, start it up and do a visual with lights, try everything ie: high, low , reverse, burnish brakes a bit and a few other quick inspection things.
both my machines had to be topped off with anti-freeze a few day later, must have been air in the system because he DID check my wife's 500, i was there when he was preping it.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I would tell them that if they don't give you a new machine (that has been properly inspected and prepped) that you'll be going to Cat with this. Document everything, just in case. I'd talk to the owner myself before you get to that stage though. 5 ATV's from him, he should understand the value of you as a customer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I took it to the dealer today and of course he apoligized when I told him the story. He simply told me there was no excuse for this. He told me the only reason he could figure it overheated while idling was because the thermostats were stuck shut and never opened. The fan was not running when the light came on. He did a check over everything and told me to ride the crap out of it this weeekend if I had problems to let him know. This was basically the only thing he could do since I could not make it run hot again i idled it ran in low range everything. I got home and it runs great now. I assume the thermostats were the problem now it is working fine. But he did add about a pint to the antifreeze in the machine. I got a free oil change out of the deal for troubles. I just hope nothing comes up this weekend. and I hope no problems arise from the little heat up. But I cut it off as soon as I seen the light so really i dont think there should be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shoulda walked into the house, phoned a lawyer. Then walked outside, started it back up and let the head gasket blow. Then take it back to the crappy dealer with the note from your lawyer. Machines and dealers like these need to be made an example of. Then cat would pay more attention....in my opinion, of course.

My dealer did a few donuts in the parking lot after he showed me all the nooks and crannys of my new machine. Where the oil was, where the radiator cap was (showing me fluid and oil in there as well), battery, etc. He even told me how and why to snorkle it.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I don't think you damaged it with only 2 miles. It certainly is concerning though that there was little/no oil in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't count on them giving you a new machine that's for sure! You'll be lucky if you didn't void the warranty for starting with no oil even though it came from the dealer that way. Arctic Cat has terrible service in general and if there's a way for them to get out they will. Check your warranty.

It could have had a vapour lock in the cooling system that kept the fluid from circulating.

Wait until your shifter starts clicking and is having problems going into gear....

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The bad thing about arctic cat is their dealer network. Its mainly those that cant get the other brands. They will give a dealership to the tractor place, the lawnmower shop and so on, our cadet cub dealer just dumped his arctic cat dealership. now I have only one place to go, least he is a suzuki dealer and been around a long time. AC has a good product but if they dont figure out a better way to market them and get behind their warranty program better I think they are doomed to fail or stay well behind the other brands.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can tell you this went to the plant on fri took the tour and they were doing atvs.
They do it all when they come of the line they start em put them on a machine run em in foward
and reverse check brakes lights drive em on a pallet crate them send out the door put together
350 atvs a day every one started and drove. They do not remove tires or handle bars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts