Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm working on my H1 clutch right now. Not sure if there's oil in the casing or if it was a watery concoction. Either way, I'm in there cleaning it all up to see what I find after I run it and I got to thinking about the clutch mod that I've heard randomly about. I see on the secondary it's got different holes. What do they do and what performance does it change?

Thanks!
Todd :thumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
What it does is basically tighten the secondary spring. If you tighten it, when you let off the gas or are slowing down it will down shift faster. Under full throttle it may also upshift just a bit slower, raising the rpm slightly. It probably won't make much of a difference on the upshift though, it usually takes changing the spring out to notice it. It will make difference on back shifting though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
are you talking about taking a couple of rollers out of the primary too or just the secondary adjustment???

BM...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sanny, sorry to jump in on your post but I had just logged on to ask a question about the clutch spring adjustment on H1's when I seen your post. I haven't taken my clutch cover off yet, when I do is it fairly obvious where this adjustment is made? Is it difficult? Any special tools needed? Also I have read that some people recommend Hole #2 while others recommend hole #4. Which is best with 26" tires?
If anyone has pictures they could post of where this adjustment is made that would be great too!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The clutch on the H1 is a snap to take off. Here is a picture of the backside of the secondary clutch. Those are the holes they are speaking of. Mine is currently in the #1 position (the loosest). I swung by Speedwerx today and they said that if you had any mods done to it (like their rollers) that it's often best in the #1 position, but that it's ultimately up to the rider's preference.

My secondary was juked up. Looks like someone tried to spread the sheaves by jamming a screwdriver in there (won't work). Dinged up the sheaves pretty well, but it's really low in the sheaves and Speedwerx told me it was fine. Looks like whoever did it tried to cover up the mistake by applying some sort of metal type "goop" (JB weld maybe??). Well, that left a rough spot on the sheave which would explain all of the belt dust. I had them take it apart and resurface the sheave. Now it's pitted just a tad from whatever was used to try and jimmy them apart, but that is fine. Better that then raised obstructions. I asked the guys at Speedwerx if I needed new sheaves and they said that mine was fine and wouldn't cause any belt issues. I'll give it a shot and find out soon enough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, comes off with an impact. The same applies for the primary.

As for changing the position, I can't speak to that. I brought mine in today to have them work on the sheaves.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Sanny! Do you know the torque specs when bolting the secondary back on? If you change spring position before I get around to taking mine apart could you advise how difficult it is?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I can do that. I don't have torque specs. I just hit it with my impact wrench and it's worked fine in the past.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (exrdhd @ Mar 22 2007, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Sanny! Do you know the torque specs when bolting the secondary back on? If you change spring position before I get around to taking mine apart could you advise how difficult it is?[/b]
specs are in here

[attachment=67156:Section10.pdf]

BM...

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Black max. Does anyone know the size of the nut that holds the secondary on? I don't have the right size socket so I need to beg, borrow or buy one.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
THE 05 SECONDARY is NOT I repeat Is NOT the same as the 2006 H1. Adjusting the 06+ model is much more difficult than the 05 H1. They are not build the same. Adjusting the 06+ Secondary gives much better results than the 05. The 06= is a CVTech made driven clutch. Here is a pic of the seondary on my 06. The nut is a 1 1/2" in socket I believe.
[attachment=67518:p1010009.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crazy, great info! What makes them different, and why do you get better performance out of the 06+ models? I'm not disputing your info, as you know more than I. Just trying to learn. Also, if I found a score on an 06 secondary, could I swap it for my 05 secondary?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you could find a score on the 06+ secondary jump on it if the price is good. The differance is in the spring side. It use a helix instead of two pins in a tube. There are four holes alos but they are at 12, 3, 6 , and 9 o'clock positions in both the top and the base of the spring. Just going back counter clock wise one hole on the top and leaving the bottom in the stock position is a very positive improvement.
2005 secondary

2006 Secondary

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info Crazy Cat. I pulled the secondary off my 06 H1 and was stumped until reading your post. I changed the spring tension as you suggested (pain in the......fingers) but haven't tried it yet. I'm doing a snorkel and the carb slide mod at the same time, I hope there will be some improvement. P.S. the nut holding the secondary on is 1 7/16

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Glad i could help. Not to bad on the guess on the nut. Was only off a 1/16. It had been awhile from the last time I removed it

·
Registered
35 Posts
The torque specs on the primary and secondary nuts are 97 lbs I believe but its darn hard to hold a rotating device and use a torque wrench at the same time . Do you wedge something in there to hold the clutch or do you just hit it with an impact wrench and hope for the best?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have done the clutch mod, it is a must as far as I am concerned.

Has anyone heard about machining the clutch to get more top end speed? There is a guy on the Prowler Forum that knows someone who has done it. I would be interested in this.

See Here: http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53342

I am hoping to get a speedwerx cam, that should make a little more power and hopefully pull the stock weights a little better.

~Fast

1 - 20 of 35 Posts