Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone give me pointers concerning where to focus my debug efforts?

'07 400 Automatic 4x4

(1) It starts, and will usually idle but bogs/stumbles when you touch the throttle. If it doesn't stall while you're trying to get past the bog, then it runs OK. If it stalls, then you repeat the process until you can get it moving. Is the carb the most likely culprit?
(2) No matter which position I flip the 2WD/4WD switch, the front wheels remain engaged. I know this because I lifted the rear wheels off the ground and it will pull itself forward from the front wheels. Is the switch likely the culprit or the expensive differential solenoid?

Also, how does one gain access to the carb on an '07? Does the entire plastic fender/body have to come off? If yes, do I have to remove the handlebars to lift off the fenders/body?

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
The electric chokes are notorious for not working correctly so that MAY be your issue. A company called Choke Solutions sells a manual cable choke for your model.

Not sure what it entails on yours to remove carb. older ones are easy. Download a service manual from Country Cat under technical information.

As far as the actuator, it may be filled with water or mud that should not be in there. here's a link to a "sticky" to clean and re-seal it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the sticky concerning the 4-wire actuators! I took my actuator off the machine and opened it up. I found no mud or water.... nice clean inside. Nothing appears broken either.
How does one test these actuators? With the actuator case open, I plugged it into the ATV harness, turned the key on and cycled the 2WD/4WD switch. When I turn the key on I can hear a "click" inside the actuator housing, but nothing happens when I move the 2WD/4WD switch.
With a volt meter, when the 2WD/4WD switch is at 4WD, I see 12V on the red&Black wires at the input to the actuator, but no voltage at the little motor inside the actuator.

What else would make these stupid things not work? Is there a sensor someplace that has failed? I don't know what the other two wires at the 4-wire connector do.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
37,888 Posts
This one

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doorfx, thanks, that's a great, detailed link!
I further investigated my 0502-579 4-wire actuator, which appears to be unavailable from Cat (or anyone for that matter). I determined that the 12V DC motor inside the actuator housing works just fine, as do both limit switches. Further, I can hear the 12V relay clicking, but since it's a double throw relay, I am suspicious that is shorted internally. That said, I'm just not sure.

So, what are folks with these 4-wire actuators doing when they fail? I have checked with multiple Cat dealers, ebay, craigs, stupid-book (facebook marketplace), stupid-zon (amazon) as well as several atv salvage yards and I opened a wanted ad on this forum... thus far I've come up empty.

Can the 3-wire version be made to work in a 4-wire ATV? I think the 4th wire is merely to light the gauge indicator???

Or, are the newer 4-wire actuators usable on the '07 models? It looks like the 4-wire actuator used on the Alterra models (3306-264) is similar if not identical to the old 0502-579 actuator???

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finding an 0502-579 4-wire actuator is turning out to be a nightmare. Can anyone help me locate one? Are there salvage yards someone would recommend? Is there an alternate PN which could be used instead of 0502-579?
I have not yet been able to determine which part(s) failed inside my actuator.

I heard back from the local Cat dealer and they said they are not aware of Cat providing a cross-over PN which could be used instead of 0502-579

Help?

·
Administrator
37,888 Posts
I’ll check my pile.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Can the 3-wire version be made to work in a 4-wire ATV? I think the 4th wire is merely to light the gauge indicator???
Looking at the wiring diagrams, I would think you would be able to make a 3 wire work in place of your 4 wire. As you said, the 4th wire looks like it's there to activate the gauge. If you can find one cheap enough to experiment with, I would give it a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts