Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Well gammer you seem to be pretty mechanically inclined. Here is something you might try after you get it dialed in. ( I did this. ) After I thought I about had it ( was shifting out at Max RPM) I pulled the weights, ground them to all being the same grams & then welded all of then out by the tip (on one side) so they were 1/2 gram heavier than the heaviest one before grinding. Went back out and tested & was still running Max RPM on shift out but was 3mph faster at my test distance of 600 ft. KInda got that idea from suggestions given from guys who were using the adjustable thunder shift weights saying load the tip heavy. Max rpm is great but this showed me that the motor was loafing at max rpm before I added the weight. I used a mig/tig to do this & practiced on a old weight prior to tackling my good weights. Just be careful not to get weld on the rolling surface of the weight. If it don't work just grind it off & your back to square one.
Which ultimately means my son in laws 02 800 efi (Stock) 800 Cross Country Cat might be in trouble next time we line them up for a 600 ft race as it was very close before.馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Thanks. I did take note of you mentioning that in your earlier posts. That is a pretty neat trick.

I should mention that I handed this sled down to my 14 you son last winter. Its a probably a little too 'peppy' for him, but he did demonstrate last year that he responsible on it. So going for peak MPH isn't my goal, but I do want it to perform properly...engagement, up shift, back shift, peak RPM.

I also ordered some 52 gram weights to have on hand, just in case.

Registered
Oh Ok, I understand, My kids are grown but the G Kids are riding now & we keep a close eye on them. They follow not lead so we can control the speed for the most part. The girls are easier than the boys to do this with, go figure hugh.

Registered
Yep, thats's a good lookin' sled. I remember seeing that before now. Looks good!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts