Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some 50g weights (set screw type) for the new 6 tower clutch i got for my EXT 580. I'm going to grind them to all match 49.5g exactly.
Question, does the weight of the weights include the set screw?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
Got the pins and weights out, ready to install those Go Rings and figured I'd get the weights all matched up.
These weights are brand new Cat weights and I'm surprised how off they are for weight differences.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dunno. When I switched from a 9 tower to a new 6 on my 02 ZL6 EFI I had to go 2g per arm heavier on the wts. Its fine to match the wts across the 3 but...……..You may be going in the wrong direction with that 6 tower.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yep, I'm the guy who told you about those. Over on HCS ( Stronger) & others told me during my switch to go with 2 g heavier per arm & I did & then welded on another 1/2 g per arm out by the tip. But try it & report back .I'm super pleased with how mine runs now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
gammer, I should have explained what I said better. When I said 2g heavier, I meant 2 grams heavier than the stock weights that came in my 600 twin with a 9 tower. . Ultimately that put me at 53 g weights or 2.5 G heavier. But your on a 580 so what you have will work ok just not sure its all it could be. It may be all you want . I bought my 6 tower from Cat deals & had them set me up initially with what they called the cross-referenced 6 tower set up for stock clutching my sled from a 9 tower to a 6 tower. It included a different drive spring. When I had them ship it I had them ship me there recommended weights + the same stile weights 2 grams heavier & also another set of weights that ( stronger ) recommended that were Full tip weights, 2 g heavier. I had other springs, ( Heavier) & a aftermarket helix (58/53) to try too. All the setups worked & Ultimately I found that ( Strongers) recommendation hit the ball out of the park. I run a 1.25 CC Track unstudded & the best way to describe this set up is to say you don't notice that much it until you ask for it. Via Comparison it now in a snow drag will run with a stock & stock clutched/ unstudded 800 twin Cat CC of the same era up past 80 mph or 600 ft. & Its a puzzy cat in the tight woods just like a stocker would be.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Make sense.
So I have a 91 EXT Special (prowler chassis) that I've put a 580 triple port top end and the ZR VM40 carbs in. I then set up the clutching to match what many on this forum found to be good for their ZR 580.
So for my clutching I used a Polaris P85 primary with 49.5 gram bushed weights and an Arctic Cat yellow/green spring. Secondary is a roller secondary with an AC yellow spring, middle hole and a 53-51 helix. Engagement was around 4000 and would max out and peak HP at 8150-8200. Ski's would just lift off the ground when I punched it and I could max out speed in the low to mid 90's, based on what the liar dial reported.

I used that P85 primary for several seasons and its now worn out. So, after I purchased and installed the new 6 tower with 50 gram weights and same yellow/green spring, I noticed clutch didn't engage until around 4300 rpm. Haven't had a chance to test it in the field, but I chalked the higher engagement up to being those rubber o-rings on the fixed arms being so power robbing.

Anyway, if the snow hangs around I will get out to a field and test it out. I'm sure I will need to make some adjustments, for sure (y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh ok gammer, I thought you were coming off a 9 tower. My original Stock drive Sp had me engaging at 4500. I'm now using a significantly stiffer cat Blue. My engagement only went up 300 rpm & with the go rings it engages very smoothly. (Not radical at all.) Full blown hole shot only spins the track W moderate snow for about 2 sleds then its fully hooked up. The cat 1.25 Cross Country track is about perfect for the power band of a stock motored 600 twin of this era.. Not sure what your using for a track / traction but I'd think 4300 engagement would still be very good for you provided it engages smoothly.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I installed the Go Rings last night. I wasn't able to test ride it, but on the stand with the .5 gram lighter weights, the engagement went up to around 4400 rpm. It seems higher than my previous P85 set up and higher than when I tested with the weights at (an uneven) 50 grams. I still want to field test it and see what my peak RPM's are coming out at. But I think you might be right...I have a feeling I will need to go 1.5 - 2 grams heavier for the primary weights.

Still hoping the few inches of snow sticks around till Saturday so I can try it out.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Rule of thumb is: 1 gram per weight arm = 200 rpms. Buy accordingly.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
If you are done tuning or have a kit, then 1 gram of weight is 200 rpms. If your still playing with helix that will change things. Was under the impression he was just looking to get the correct weights in to get the correct rpm back. Always tune rpms with the primary first.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1 Tcat.

I have the spring and helix I want for this 580 motor. Looks like the weights are what needs to be (slightly) adjusted based on the new primary clutch and Go Rings.

Snow is still here and still looking good for a 'field' test this Saturday.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
I would not excect the rpms to change any on the top end with just the Go Rings. Engagement yes.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
How bout some pics of this beast?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would not expect the rpms to change any on the top end with just the Go Rings. Engagement yes.
Interesting. Ok, now I'm really looking forward to the field test. Few more inches of snow in the forecast tomorrow morning. Saturday afternoon can't come fast enough.

How bout some pics of this beast?
First 3 are from after I put the ZR ETT/TSL skid in it. Last one is how it looks now with the 2 up seat.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts