Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am obsessed with grease fittings. I just love well oiled machinery. As you know, snowmobiles operate in some pretty wet weather. Water intrusion can really damage some expensive parts. I got bored watching/ reading Corona virus nonsense, so I practiced social distancing by playing out in my workshop. I removed all front suspension control arms and shocks and replaced the plastic shock bushings. I added grease fittings to lube each pivot point. I like to use metric 6x 1 grease fittings, but use a 1/4x28 tap for them. This provides a interference thread fit, so the grease fitting cannot be screwed all the way into the part, which increases the odds you will run into the axle or sleeve. In order to 'flush and fill' joints with grease, you must provide an escape path. I use a hack saw to cut a groove for this feature. [Pictures to follow stay tuned]. I also used thin O-rings around the control arm to body bushings to help seal out moisture.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before you go removing the control arms, you may end up scratching your head as how to access to the control arm nuts. The tie rod boots must be removed for the upper control arm nut. The center belly pan must be removed for the lower. You will then see an access hole in the bulkhead where you can use a breaker bar and shallow socket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts