Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just cleaned my secondary completely. I dismatled it and cleaned all the parts with brake cleaner.

I cleaned and lightly sanded (with 200 grit wet/dry) the machined surfaces of the secondary to get all of the old belt compound out.

The only place I put any grease was on the jack shaft so that the clutch would move smoothly (for easy centering).

Should I have put grease on the bearing surface where the two halves of the clutch move.

My understanding is that this area should be completely clean as it is now.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
370 Posts
You did it correctly, you don't want any lube on anything that comes in contact with the belt obviously.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the machine out today. What a huge differance. The guy that had it before me had grease everywhere which attracted dust and debrise and made the clutches stick.

As I said I cleaned everything and lightly sanded the machined surfaces and wow, what a differance. Very smooth.

I still have an issue at about 6000 RPM. The machine will suddenly start to accelerate (at 6000 rpm or above) really quickly so when I back off the throttle (Im trail riding with my 5 year old son) the RPM and speed drop dramatically like someone applied the brake.

In other words it seems to have a dead spot where it will either run at from engagement to 5500 rpm or over 6000 but not really well inbetween.

Other than the excessive smoke at start up, this is a great trail machine!

Thanks for the advice.

Ben

·
Registered
780 Posts
How many miles on that sled? When was the last time you had the primary apart and changed the weight bushings? Is the primary spring in good condition - (not cracked)? I'd invest some money in a primary clutch puller and rebuild it (new spring, weight bushings, pins). The primary is critical to smooth acceleration. I need to do mine soon, purchased a new clutch and need to get it installed, hopefully this weekend coming up (back to Michigan for another weekend of fun and snow).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The machine has 1800 miles on it. I suspect, as I found with the secondary, that the primary has never ever been serviced.

I cleaned it on the machine with some brake cleaner primarily to remove the belt debris and crap. I think your right I think the primary could use some maintenance for sure.

Do you think this might help to clean up this clutching hole that I am expierancing? Around 35 to 40 miles an hour its great but from there on its "hold on cause away we go" time. It will start to pull like crazy and then when you go to back off just a little bit, you suddenly drop 500 rpm or more in one shot.

Then you are back down to 35 again.

I will start with rebuilding the primary and see how that goes but any suggestions beyound that would also help.

Thanks
Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.