Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about asking santa to bring me a gps unit for my atv this christmas, whats the best brand / unit

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I got the Lowrance iFinder H20 and I love it! You can put map chips in it and there are alot of settings for differnt things, its alot like the Military versions (PLGR) Its a little bulky but has a wrist strap and can be opperated with one hand. They have black/white and colored screen models
[attachment=138923:review_1_.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you use to keep track of were you rode to, I need it so I can backtrack my way off the new trails I find

·
Registered
504 Posts
Garmin Rino 530 HCx if you want the cadillac unit with FRS/GMRS & weather radio built in.

Garmin 60 CSx has all of the same features, but no radio or weather radio.

Both units have backtrack features.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the Garmin 60 today I see the Garmin 60CSx is the updated version but all I can see is the CSx has a color sceen an more memory

·
Registered
504 Posts
You'll want that added memory for additional overlays and maps. You are very limited without it. If you ever go to Windrock in TN Dan has a great map that you can install, but you must have an "X" version. The non X versions do not have enough memory to support it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would stay with the Gamins as well for the main reason the tracks are easy to share. I have a 76CSx with Dan's maps installed and it is great.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LIL-WILL @ Nov 12 2009, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
can you use to keep track of were you rode to, I need it so I can backtrack my way off the new trails I find[/b]
Yeah it will keep track of your trails and draw a little map on the unit for you so you can see where you have been. and like the other guys were saying you can share maps and chips with other people with this GPS too. I also have a Garmin GPS 12, it came with my boat, its older but works ok for a speedo but loses satelites pretty easily, and eats batteries like crazy! :angry:
[attachment=139023:Garmin_GPS_12.jpg]
At the start of my last deployment I had the Magellan Explorist 100, it was a great little unit, never had problems with it, you get what you pay for with a $100 unit but it did everything I wanted it to at the time and had the back tracking feature. Then it got wedged under our radio mount in our humvee and the screen shattered :oops: bang your head so I threw it away. lol
[attachment=139025:Magellan...rist_100.jpg]
Then while I was working with a counter intel/counter terrorism/counter insurgency specialty team north of Baghdad, they gave me the Garmin Geko :turd: , it was an alright little gps, no frills, it was cheap and you could tell. Our frequency blocking and jamming devices would not allow that thing to work, so we would turn them off or get out of the truck to use it, but it was little and fit in your pocket easily.
[attachment=139022:Garmin_Geko.jpg]
Then when their funding came through they got the Garmin GPS V and that thing was awesome, no map chips, but it always had a signal, it was a little challenging to opperate and was sometimes tough with one hand. It also has an awkward shape, but overall it was a good unit.
[attachment=139024:garmin_gps_V.jpg]
So far my Lowrance has been the best, as far as functionality, it always has a signal, has map chips you can change out, fits in your hand alright and is water/weather proof, so far has been very rugged and has survived my whole deployment.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
60CSX too. Love it! I've had 4 Garmin GPSs now and wouldn't go with anything else!

Garmin II+
Garmin V
Garmin Rino 110
and the 60 CSX.

The X is definitely the way to go. You will like the extra space if you are a techie.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a Garmin 60Cx (no S)...basically it's the same as the 60 CSx except i dont have a barometer and I need to move forward to use the digital compass.

I think it's great, never failed me yet, although i've only used it in my car and on foot while fishing (cause i haven't got an ATV yet...still shopping for mine)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would go with the Garmin 60 Series. I have had mine now for over three years and it works great. It made it thru a tour in Afghanistan with alot of abuse and it is still working strong. I use it everytime I go out riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts