Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I use my galaxy note 2 cell phone. It plots my routes, elevation, and speed. Iphone and androids have the app.

If you buy the premium software you can see the plots via computer as your riding do your spouse/friend can locate you if need be. My phones downstairs I forget the name of the app

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been using a Garmin Oregon 450 the last few years. It has a touch screen and does everything i need it to do. It records tracks and has a micro sd card so you can store everything on your handheld. used in conjunction with a base map program it works really well. I have a smart phone as well but dont use it for a gps too much.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I have the same unit. I also like that I can put custom maps in it. Great for ATV trail systems.

I have been using a Garmin Oregon 450 the last few years. It has a touch screen and does everything i need it to do. It records tracks and has a micro sd card so you can store everything on your handheld. used in conjunction with a base map program it works really well. I have a smart phone as well but dont use it for a gps too much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just wondering what you guys are using for gps units. Handheld any better? Do they all mark the trails as you ride? Thanks for your input.
I use the Garmin Rino 130 and 610. Both have a gps and a radio built into one. I only wish I could load maps on my units but cant. It was a choice of loading maps on one or having two radios to talk to another rider. Fairly easy to use and you can follow your tracks back and set waypoints. I would not use a phone as it depends on the providers signal, not gps, you will most likely not have any signal for your phone on most trails so its about useless.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Depending on the phone that can be true, but more importantly running the GPS sensors in the phone constantly burns down the battery compared to a real GPS unit.

Mike

I use the Garmin Rino 130 and 610. Both have a gps and a radio built into one. I only wish I could load maps on my units but cant. It was a choice of loading maps on one or having two radios to talk to another rider. Fairly easy to use and you can follow your tracks back and set waypoints. I would not use a phone as it depends on the providers signal, not gps, you will most likely not have any signal for your phone on most trails so its about useless.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
My phone uses GPS and I plug it into my pod with my car charger just like I do with my old garmin GPS 60. I use the phone for day trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use old Garmin GPS V units. They work great and are very rugged. You can get them on eBay for around $50.00. Ram makes a good mount which hold the unit and clamps on to your front rack or handlebar. They save tracks and have software that allows you to upload to your computer. You can make routes and then download them back to the GPS.

Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts