Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how could you install a power cord for a gps in a 2010 crossfire?????? i have a cord thats made to splice into a power source but dont have a schematic to show me the proper dc source for the sled??????

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
behind the triangle shaped plate that covers your wiring from heat, there is a 2 way plug that loops into itself, uplug the return loop & use that for your dc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my 2010 crossfire 800 that's AC power not DC.
I don't think most GPS' have a built in converter.
I'm dealing w/this issue now too.
Considering splicing into the headlight or other DC source.
Arctic Cat has a 'kit' that's about a $300 plug'n play solution to DC getting power.
Still doesn't give you power when motor's not running.
I'm currently looking for a small battery and charger component so my GPS isn't powering up and down all day when we stop for rests (etc).
If anybody has a source or recommendation on this, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
If you are cheap like me you can get an AGM alarm battery for about $10 and a 75 cent diode and wire one up yourself. I had previously made a regulator rectifier for one of my sleds, but my GPS turns off if I turn off the sled. I installed a battery into the sled that gets charged when the engine is running. I used it on my last trip this year and it worked great.

What I did was get a UB1213 sealed lead acid battery that is commonly used in alarm systems and installed it under the hood. The battery is about 3" x 1-1/2" x 2 ", weighs just over a pound, and can be installed in any position. I then tapped into the sleds alternating current. One lead goes straight to the negative terminal of the battery and the negative side of whatever your hooking up like the GPS or cigarette lighter socket. The other wire from the sled AC goes through a diode and then to the positive side of the battery and then to the positive side of the GPS or lighter socket. There is a quicky drawing I put together attached as well as some links and some pictures for the diode and battery. I would have liked to have a diode with a little higher rating, but I was in a hurry and Radio Shack didn't have anything bigger. It worked but I will probably get a larger diode from an electronic supply before next year.

Battery Link

Diode Link

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Never checked if the 12v at the plug was rectified to dc or not, but I got a cigarette lighter female socket and wired it into that plug, and I use a cell phone car charger for my motorola rokr (it's a usb 2.0) that brings it down to the ~5.1v that my Garmin e-trex vista cx needs. it works perfect and even has a coiled springy cord that works with my telescopic post. However when I wrecked the end one time, I tried a different brand charger and it didn't work so I traded it with the brand my wife had and that one worked good. I got mine from us cellular, but I would assume you may just have to try a couple diffeent ones you will find one that works.

Bonus is that when the cold craps out your cell phone battery and you are trying to call the friend you are meeting up with you can plug it in and get the battery juiced back up to text him:)

What type of gps are you trying to power?

·
Registered
222 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnmaster @ Mar 20 2010, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Never checked if the 12v at the plug was rectified to dc or not, but I got a cigarette lighter female socket and wired it into that plug, and I use a cell phone car charger for my motorola rokr (it's a usb 2.0) that brings it down to the ~5.1v that my Garmin e-trex vista cx needs. it works perfect and even has a coiled springy cord that works with my telescopic post. However when I wrecked the end one time, I tried a different brand charger and it didn't work so I traded it with the brand my wife had and that one worked good. I got mine from us cellular, but I would assume you may just have to try a couple diffeent ones you will find one that works.

Bonus is that when the cold craps out your cell phone battery and you are trying to call the friend you are meeting up with you can plug it in and get the battery juiced back up to text him:)

What type of gps are you trying to power?[/b]

I bet the cell phone charger had some front end input voltage protection / rectifier then the other charger may not have had the same protection, could be why some of the cell phone chargers cost $30. and some $5 either will work fine when plugged into you car with a clean 12VDC but not so much plugged into the AC voltage of your sled.

This also makes sense when some say they plug their GPS directly into this plug and have not had any issues, must be the charger adapter has some protection / rectifier build in.

·
Registered
520 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (109jb @ Mar 19 2010, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you are cheap like me you can get an AGM alarm battery for about $10 and a 75 cent diode and wire one up yourself. I had previously made a regulator rectifier for one of my sleds, but my GPS turns off if I turn off the sled. I installed a battery into the sled that gets charged when the engine is running. I used it on my last trip this year and it worked great.

What I did was get a UB1213 sealed lead acid battery that is commonly used in alarm systems and installed it under the hood. The battery is about 3" x 1-1/2" x 2 ", weighs just over a pound, and can be installed in any position. I then tapped into the sleds alternating current. One lead goes straight to the negative terminal of the battery and the negative side of whatever your hooking up like the GPS or cigarette lighter socket. The other wire from the sled AC goes through a diode and then to the positive side of the battery and then to the positive side of the GPS or lighter socket. There is a quicky drawing I put together attached as well as some links and some pictures for the diode and battery. I would have liked to have a diode with a little higher rating, but I was in a hurry and Radio Shack didn't have anything bigger. It worked but I will probably get a larger diode from an electronic supply before next year.

Battery Link

Diode Link[/b]

this seems like a good idea. i might have to try this. have you had any problems with the battery freezing or holding up to cold temperatures? is there any danger of overcharging the battery and ruining it?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F7SP43 @ Mar 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (109jb @ Mar 19 2010, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Battery Link

Diode Link[/b]

this seems like a good idea. i might have to try this. have you had any problems with the battery freezing or holding up to cold temperatures? is there any danger of overcharging the battery and ruining it?
[/b][/quote]
I only had it on one trip and it worked well (3 days of riding).

The battery is a sealed lead acid battery (think car battery) and is not in danger of freezing as long as it is charged.

As for overcharging, I don't see a danger since this is half wave rectifier and the average voltage the battery sees is actually only about 6VDC. The battery will still get charged because the peak voltage goes to about 19V but is pulsed because of the type of rectification of the AC voltage. This won't pose any danger of overcharging, but should be sufficient to keep the battery charged if the load is low like for a gps.

This is basically the DIY version of the sno bunje system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but from everything I have read I created my own game plan. Would this work? I have a 09 crossfire 600 efi with reverse.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but from everything I have read I created my own game plan. Would this work? I have a 09 crossfire 600 efi with reverse.
View attachment 363126
That plan would work. Have you checked if your plug is AC output? My 2009 Crossfire 600 efi with reverse is DC at the ACC plug.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I will say that I did a small AC to DC converter on my 2011 Crossfire to power my GPS and it works perfect except for when I go to have fun and go full throttle. Trail ride all day but first full throttle punch and GPS shuts off. So I don't know if it is sending out too much AC voltage at full throttle or if it dips under voltage. I just restart my GPS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That plan would work. Have you checked if your plug is AC output? My 2009 Crossfire 600 efi with reverse is DC at the ACC plug.
I will say that I did a small AC to DC converter on my 2011 Crossfire to power my GPS and it works perfect except for when I go to have fun and go full throttle. Trail ride all day but first full throttle punch and GPS shuts off. So I don't know if it is sending out too much AC voltage at full throttle or if it dips under voltage. I just restart my GPS.

Well here's the problem, I cannot check since the sled is at my cabin 2 hours away. And I am planning a big Upper Peninsula ride the following weekend, so if i can get this done this weekend with a quick trail ride for a test that would be great! Nobody could give a 100% confirmation on this since im finding its different on a lot of xfire models. I am pretty much gathering all the parts so I can cut solder this diagram together once I get to my cabin. Now if it is DC power which I hope then it will make it a lot easier and I wont need majority of this and will be more plug and play.

Hmm that's interesting, you may be losing power as it over loads the converter and has some sort of fuse protection? I dont know thats just a shot in the dark guess lol But I hope that dosn't happen because I pin it full throttle a lot lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is quite annoying. I will likely add a small 12 battery and diode into the system to keep the 12 volts available at all times to my GPS plug.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is quite annoying. I will likely add a small 12 battery and diode into the system to keep the 12 volts available at all times to my GPS plug.
Yea I can see that being annoying, I did a test and luckily my garmin nuvi that runs VVmapping (that I thought was at the cabin) will hold its internal charge for 45mins. I previously thought the battery was shot so thats part of the reason for wiring the battery. So if goes between charging to battery during the ride I guess that will be fine for now. If its terrible I can always just add a battery. And spend some time making a nice holder for it. Below is that battery I was thinking about using. Maybe a little over kill but it would last an entire weekend of ridding no problem with ridding and stopping.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The problem is with every GPS I have ever owned there is a prompt that pops up and states that power has been lost and you have the option to continue use on battery or shutdown. If you don't select an option in time the GPS shuts off and will not restart. This happens on my Garmin and Magellan. Not sure on TomTom as I haven't used one in years. But use the Garmin all winter and the Magellan all summer on my motorcycle. The small battery on the plug side would eliminate this issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The problem is with every GPS I have ever owned there is a prompt that pops up and states that power has been lost and you have the option to continue use on battery or shutdown. If you don't select an option in time the GPS shuts off and will not restart. This happens on my Garmin and Magellan. Not sure on TomTom as I haven't used one in years. But use the Garmin all winter and the Magellan all summer on my motorcycle. The small battery on the plug side would eliminate this issue.
Wow I totally forgot about that pop up window, that will pose a problem. Maybe I'll see if i can find a smaller battery that can fit near the plug location and just be secured by Velcro instead of some aluminum mount i would have to make. Like Velcroed right to that aluminum triangle plate at the steering post.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep just like this is something i might buy... Hell I might have some still from RC's layin around. Ill have to go look today

1 - 20 of 21 Posts