Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We at Gorilla Winches are asking Arctic Chat members for some help. We are developing a virtual library on our web site (www.gorillawinches.com) where we would like to get some real stories and real HOW TO discussions from real ATV/winch users that can be informative, interesting and fun. I have listed the topics that would be used below. We would ask that the stories be thoughtfully and tastefully done, keep them from 200-800 words in length pictures are more than welcome- and specifically be BRAND NEUTRAL- no brands named in the articals. We do not want any brand of any product group noted in the stories (unless it is saftey related).

Topics:
Safe winching tips, the "how to" stories...(either winch applications, or hauling, trailering applications)
Winch stories...(Unusual applications...be creative and expressive)
Winch horror stories and how the use of the winch helped or hurt

Each story author will recieve editiorial credit for their entry as they get posted to the site library. We will also provide FREE winch accessory gifts to participant stories that we use (PLEASE EMAIL SUBMISSIONS TO: [email protected] )- items like: aluminium hawse, tree savers, or other items will be used. We will also be giving a free 2500 LB waterproof winch to the best story we add to our site each month.

Thanks allot to those interested in participating! We look forward to seeing the creative, informative stories you can share!

PLEASE EMAIL SUBMISSIONS TO: [email protected]

Gorilla Winches

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I don't have any good stories, as I just use mine for getting unstuck, pulling trees out, etc., but I want to thank you for a good, reliable, yet economical product.

Todd picked up two of your 2500s plus wireless remotes for me last summer. The remotes are a MUST HAVE! I've done things with them I could not have done without having the remotes.

Thanks.

Jay

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I use my rear winch to snug down the back end of my ATV to the trailer before securing it further with straps. I have also used it to take down an elm tree as well as tow my then broken down vehicle from the driveway uphill into the garage. So many uses, so little time! :) I won't be expressive with those as those aren't really good stories per say. These boys have a lot of great stories...

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Last July, my dad and I re-shingled my roof.

My dad is 78, and is in great health/shape for his age but isn't quite the same as a 20 year old. Neither am I, I have chronic lower spine compression issues as well as mid-spine problems. My knees are shot too, I get along fine in life but hauling shingles up the ladder would finish me for weeks.

I didn't want my dad to go up & down the ladder hauling shingles the hardest way possible, I just wouldn't have it.

That job is out for me as well. So... First I thought of renting a shingle lift. But before I look for the easy way out, I'll see if I can figure out a solution using my brain instead of money.

So... The contraption is basically my home made winch pulley block w/hook fastened to the top rung of the ladder. The plywood you see on the ladder has two snowmobile slides screwed to the plywood, the open 'slots' of the sleds entrap the outer edges of the ladder.

Because the winch would be used a lot and drain the battery, I connected a battery tender to the ATV to prevent severe battery discharge without having to run the ATV engine. And to keep the winch motor from overheating, I just did 5 or 6 pulls of 2 shingle bundles at a time... Then let the winch rest & cool as the Battery Tender kept the charging process going.

Look at the home-made ball-bearing pulley block on the front of the ATV pic. It was attached to the top rung of the ladder.

I can get a better pic of the plywood/slider contraption on the weekend if it's needed... At the time, I didn't think a pic from the backside to show how it fits the ladder would be important.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have used it for the obvious stuff; getting unstuck, moving logs out of the way, pulling out trees in the yard. Nothing terribly creative.

One day while out riding, my wife's TRV died on the trail. I couldn't get it to stay running so I towed her back to the trailer. I was then faced with the dilemna of loading an 700+ pound machine onto my tilt trailer with no power. I parked my TRV next to the trailer tongue, fed my winch line over the front lip of the ramp and down to her machine, and winched her right up into place. Worked like a charm!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
AG's "invention" was the greatest I think I've read (seriously). That was a great idea!

I have one. We were riding this last fall up at the OHV Park in Gilbert, MN. One of our ArcticChat members (who will remain nameless for this story and I will be thanked accordingly) swamped his quad in a huge waterhole and needed to get winched out. Once landlocked, much to our chagrin, his bike wouldn't fire and we figured we needed to drain the bike's exhaust and carbs of water/mud. We figured it would take some time due to the cold conditions, so we eyed up a nearby embankment and summised it would work. I took my rig and drove to the top of the embankment and tossed him my synthetic winch rope and winched him up most of the way. Once positioned just right and we "planted" his left rear tire, I let out just enough rope to let the quad stand nearly upright. We held it there for 10-15 minutes letting the exhaust drain. After 2+ hours, 2 batteries and a can of starter fluid, we admitted defeat I towed him back to the parking lot. This unfortunate incident does end happily though. This unfortunate incident has subsequently led to the purchase of a big bore kit, performance cams, and a myriad of other ATV goodies which is sure to either put a defiant smirk on the owner's face or get him in deeper trouble next time around. Attached are the pictures/evidence/blackmail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Was that a cheep shot at me Sally? Nice one. We'll see on the next ride in the spring :tongue_nana: your new H1 may not keep up. :wheelie: you guys from Gorilla Winch should come riding with us in the spring.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like that shingle lift AG, I may have to use it in the future. Thanks to the guys from Gorilla. Without their winches, I wouldn't have one. I'll never use a Superwinch as I've seen too many fail and they're hard to get replaced and Gorillas are about the same price and work like a champ.
JD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts