Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Gorilla 3000# winch from Outdoor2u via ebay. I paid 138 bucks delivered to my door. I unpacked the winch, electrical harness, and mounting plate. All items were packaged nicely. Also included was a mounting plate designed for the Arctic Cat 05 - 06 500.

I assembled the plates and adapters as instructed. Once I had everything bolted together I realized that the winch bolt pattern and the hole pattern in the adapter plate are identical. The winch can be directly mounted to the front bumper without a need for any adapter plates or mounting plates. The roller fairlead will bolt directly to the front of the bumper as well.

I had a Warn 2.5 winch sitting next to the gorilla, and they looked nearly identical. Makes me wonder if the Chinese are just getting that good at copying things or if the Warn comes from there as well.

I also ordered the switch pod and switch from the LE version from my Arctic Cat dealer so the switch mounts below the left pod rather than on the handlebars. I think it is much more convenient in that location. That will leave room for the plow angle switch to be mounted on the handlebars.

Overall, I think the Gorilla is an exceptional value. I haven't had a need to use it and probably won't. I purchased it primarily for use with the snow plow. I will certainly purchase another Gorilla winch in the future.

I'll post some pics of the installation as soon as I get a chance to dig out the digital camera.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Being in "North American Manufacturing", we are constantly being taught more about Chinese Manufacturing. I wouldn't be surprised if they have copied the Warn winch - apparently there is little or no protection for "ideas" that you would normally get a patent for in North America. I work in the tire business and while Goodyear is getting involved with more "partnerships" with Chinese companies it was explained to me that "high value & high performance tires - tripletread assurance, tripletread fortera, Eagle F1" etc, would never be made there because as soon as someone saw how it was done, the company right next door would be making them too.

I know there is probably more to it, but this is what was described to us, by our technology mangager who was in China for 3 or 4 years.

Not to mention, the safety laws, pollution laws etc etc are not even close to ours, so obviously they make products much cheaper than us. It isn't a level playing field.

Not too get too far off topic, glad you like the winch! I have a Gorilla contactor, which replaced the one that came on my bike, and wouldn't hesitate to buy a winch when mine needs replacing.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I am picking one up also but I am going to be putting it in the rear, I have a 2.5 Warn up front now and would like one in back to use to get out of spots I don't want to continue going thru

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I Have the same winch. Easy installation. Im on my second one though as the first one quit working on the free spool. He replaced it for free besides shipping the old one back to him.

China manufacturing is screwing american workers who work in manufacturing but intil we stop trading with them until they have the same manufacturing guidelines as US we will never be able to compete with them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The switch cost me about $38 if I remember. I happened to be in Thief River Falls and got the switch pod from an atv that was being broken down into parts by the factory so I swiped the switch pod and screws. I forgot to grab the backplate though so I'll have to order one of those. My dealer treats me pretty well on parts. Usually I get a 15% - 20% discount. I also stumbled across a website that offers parts at discount pricess too. www.arcticcatonlineparts.com

I agree about chinese copies. I already had a warn 2.5, and I needed a new winch pretty much just for operating the snow plow. I just couldn't justify the cost difference of a couple hundred bucks just to raise and lower the plow. If I was a regular mudder or swamp rider, I probably would have spent the extra cash for the added peace of mind.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Eagle Plows hydraulic pivot unit? I have yet to see one in person, but the concept was so appealing that I ordered one sight unseen.

Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
for power remote angle of the plow, correct? got a link? i have been looking at something similar but it's around 300 for the kit which to me is rediclous for a little electroic over hydrolic ram and some wire/switch.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Easier to get off the wheeler and turn the plow than spend that kind of money on something you really do not need, come on how lazy are you ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not a matter of lazy. It is really a matter of speed. When clearing a number of relatively short driveways (less than 100') it is so much easier than turning the plow by hand or plowing in only one direction.

Does a person really NEED it? No, not really. Does anyone really NEED a set of $800 wheels on their atv? No, not really. Does it make it nicer/better/more enjoyable? Absolutely.

The unit I ordered came from www.eagleplows.com I'll be sure to post some pictures as soon as I have the unit mounted. Hopefully it is a pretty good investment. I didn't have to pay near street price for the unit as a very good friend of mine is a dealer.

Anyway, I'll post a review after I have the opportunity to use it. We'll see how well the Gorilla survives with a fair bit of use, too.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts