Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
On my 04 650 V2 I have Goodyear Rawhide's on it for stock tires. I hear alot of people saying that Carlisle's are bad, and other stock tires arent too good. I havent read anything about these Goodyears and am wondering if these are junk tires?
I want to do the ITP Mudlite wheel & tire sets, but it's hard to replace brand new tires w/ the wife's blessing.
If anyone has any experience w/ these Goodyears, or opinions based on experience whatever, please let me know.
Id like to know if Id notice a HUGE difference or not, and what the differences would be. Im thinking about a swaybar and for 129.00 it's an easier sell than 650+ for the new wheels and tires.
Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Wooza -

If you can put up with the whining until it's over (How long can it last), the ITP packages that are out there are the BEST investment that I have made.

My brother and I bought packages off of Ebay and have NEVER been happier. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I ran into the same problem. As my wife said "those tires and rims are perfectly fine." But, one kept leaking so I pulled the trigger. ITP rims and XTRs. man I'm glad the one leaked..........

Ive had stock Goodyears on my 05V2 and Carlisles on my 06-500. At least my Goodyears didn't leak but once you get XTRs you'll thank me. :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else have opinions / experience with these Goodyears? The more the better,as it makes for an easier "sell" to the Mrs.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I've still got the original stock Goodyear Rawhides on my quad, but I am planning to upgrade to some aftermarket tires some day. Don't tell my wife!! :sure_ok: I've had no problems with my Goodyears, but the do allow a lot of "roll" on the quad which I hear is drastically improved with aftermarket tires. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Had the V2 with the Goodyears. They were OK at best. However, I got stuck in snow with them relatively easy and the traction in mud was average at best. I switched to the Mudlites, and the difference was night and day. The quad steers easier (half as much effort to steer, at least). As for traction, well let's just say it's not an issue afterwards. :) I believe the ML's have thicker sidewalls as well.

I bought the Mudlite XTR's for my H1 now and thus far I like them a lot. i've only had them out plowing snow thus far, but so far so good.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I just replaced my goodyears on my 06 650v2 with the 26"mudlite XTR's and my first impression was wow I can make a sharp turn with out the tire sliding forward, it just turns. I did think the goodyears were ok but the sidewalls are definitely not as stiff as the xtr's. The carlisles well just forget it. I'll keep the goodyears as backup till I pickup some 25" bighorns and mount them on some le rims. Overall the goodyears are not to bad but can't perform as well as some of the better 6-ply tires.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
if you're concerned about the price then buy just the tires and mount them on the stock wheels. that is what i did, twice. i paid $240 for my 25" swamplites and $298 for my 29 1/2" swamplites, new (i found one heck of a deal). but it was easier to sell the mrs on just the tires as opposed to tires & wheels.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think them Goodyears are a good tire, all you need is to put the same size all around (11's) and that should solve the roll in the corners. Expensive tires to buy, but they ride good, give decent traction and wear good as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't have anything to compare mine to. But they seem to do really good in the 12-18" of snow we have here. Haven't gotten stuck....yet

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I had the Goodyears on my 06 V2 when it was new. IMO they were junk, they rolled very badly in corners, packed up even in minor mud and unless you could get some speed didn't clean out very well. I was in the same situation, why replace new tires? When I moved down here to NC I really needed a good tire to deal with the mud. I bought some 27" Swamp Fox Plus's and absolutely love them, I did leave them on my stock rims.

The sway bar is worth every penny of the $129, it will make a huge difference for you in handling, I recommend that even before the tires, as since your riding the V2 it will help when pinning the throttle in corners.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
The swaybar I think is mostly for the guys that go faster on the trails or ride ditches a lot. For those of us that drive over downed trees and such, I don't THINK it helps as much as it would hinder your ability to articulate over those things. Guys...what do you think? I don't have one, so I can't say with any experience here...

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Mar 3 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The swaybar I think is mostly for the guys that go faster on the trails or ride ditches a lot. For those of us that drive over downed trees and such, I don't THINK it helps as much as it would hinder your ability to articulate over those things. Guys...what do you think? I don't have one, so I can't say with any experience here...[/b]

Sanny, I have yet to have been hampered by my sway bar. I ride over trees, rocks and have never, never been stuck or hung up because of my swaybar. Even when riding slow the swaybar makes a drastic improvement. If there hadn't been a sway bar to add I more than likely would have gotten rid of my V2 due to such poor handling characteristics. Now you couldn't put me on another machine.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
It's hard to see in this shot, it's a nice underview, but the sway bar links or bar itself don't get in the way. I realize this isn't a great articulation shot. I will work on getting some true articulation pictures tomorrow to disprove the swaybar myth. I truly believe that if Cat installed these as stock items you would see a signficant improvement in the reviews. However like in the other post, I could care less what a reviewer says, my Cat's Rock! Cat happy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I love my swaybar for the improvement its made in stability for rock crawling, trail riding etc. I can't tell you how many times I got in off camber situations and felt like I would lose it. Now in the same situations I can just drive thru it and I don't feel that tippy feeling. I drive slow and haven't had any occasions that the swaybar has affected me in a negative way,ie.. I don't notice any a-arm travel issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts