Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was getting ready for a 5 day ride in Nevada. Had to get some work done on both of my cats before the trip (diff oil, torn cv bootand the like).

During the diff oil change out (1200 miles on both) the mech. discovered that the front diff on the 400 was leaking. Never saw any signs of leaking, buit there you have it. So I ok the work and get everything done.

Just not enough time to do it myself this go round.

So we get out on day one (85 miles out) pics here Photos from day one and noticed that the 400 was having a bit of trouble in the front 4wd dept. nothing really there on the front wheels. I figured just some slippage (i was back in the pack) and would check it out when we got back.. Most of the ride we were on did not require 4wd.

We got back in LATE 12hrs of riding and I was one whipped puppy.

Got out to the next site (60 miles this time) started to get ready and started inscpecting the 400 and found this..

Not good.. It appears the snap ring let go at some point on the first days ride and just sat in there and spun against the diff.. OK so now I'm 700 miles from home, just had a repair done that was the "general" cause of this and now can't ride.. To say I was a bit miffed would be kind..

I call our mechanic and explain the problem. I described what I saw in the field and he asked if I was able to get it to a mechanic in the area. I was. Although we had front diff problems cat is still mobile.

He says don't worry we'll ge this taken care of. I get it into town and find a Yamaha dealer and ask if they could please yake a look at the problem. They dont have a service dept. BUT they do know of a local mechanic that works on quads. (this is a mining area, middle of nowhere 180 miles from a dealer).

So the mechanic comes to meet us at he dealer (he lives less tha 1/4 mile from the store) and we follow him to his "shop" and drop it off. I get a call not one our later with the bad news.. Axel is toast.

Here is where the cavalry comes in. I call my mechanic at home (Glen), I tell him the findings.. He says give me a few hours, I'll call you back.. we'll get this handled..

A fwe hours go by and I get the call.. Derrick, I got ahold of Artic Cat directly. They are overnighting a new axel and parts directly to the motel.. I am covering the parts and repair, your time, gas and motel for the down day.

Folks, Be NICE to your mechanic. We live in a SMALL town, maybe 100 people up in the mountains. I frequent his place regularly, they know me by name and voice when I call..

Let you guys know when I get the parts, but so far, I could not have found a better mechanic anywhere.

People are humans and problems occur. take it in stride all will work out..

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If more people were like this and not so "fix it now, or else" the repair world would be better.... When I worked in a small garage as a wrench we had VERY VERY VERY few people like d2photo... With an understanding that "things" happen that the mechanic has very little control over and that we are ALL Human!!

IMO that Mechanic regaurdless of small town or not, weahter he was at fault or not went above and beyond what he could have done... Courtesy Goes a very long way ...

2 important type of people ya never want to p!ss off: 1) Your Doctor/dentist 2) the mechanic that makes your repairs!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Folks, Be NICE to your mechanic, I could not have found a better mechanic anywhere.

People are humans and problems occur. take it in stride all will work out[/b]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-up, Got the parts in 2 shipments one from Quadboss (new diff seals) and the other a direct ship from AC The new Axel..

When both in I was up and running in 1.5 hrs and back out on the trail managed to salvage the day and still get 4.5 hrs of riding in today..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the kicker folks, This guy is NOT an ac dealer. He did pull off something I never thought would happen though.

He got an AC dealer to DROP SHIP a warranty part for someone else to install..

Now THATS customer service!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts