Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a 2001 ZR120 on Monday. It is supposed to be well maintained in good shape and just had a new chain installed. What kind of things should I be looking at?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
How did it go? This might be a little late BUT having 2 of these things that year I can tell you there are a few things that always go wrong with them if you are still looking. The most obvious is the chassis cracks right above the recoil...they all do it. I riveted a doubler on both of mine to add some strength back. Also the fuel tank cracks right where the shut off petcock screws in...repairs don't last and the only fix is a new tank. If it has the metal skis they will crack and break so plastic skis are a bonus. The stock chain tensioner is junk...you will spend most of your time putting the chain back on and probably the reason the chain was replaced. I put aftermarket chain tensioner's on both of mine. They are 75 bucks a piece and is probably the single best upgrade for these things. If you find one that "just needs carb work" stay away. the carbs are expensive and there is not a low cost option for a replacement...at least that I have seen. Get one that was used and cared for...I paid around a grand for each of mine about 5 years ago but the prices are climbing. I just sold one for $1300 and expect I will see close to the same for the other as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did it go? This might be a little late BUT having 2 of these things that year I can tell you there are a few things that always go wrong with them if you are still looking. The most obvious is the chassis cracks right above the recoil...they all do it. I riveted a doubler on both of mine to add some strength back. Also the fuel tank cracks right where the shut off petcock screws in...repairs don't last and the only fix is a new tank. If it has the metal skis they will crack and break so plastic skis are a bonus. The stock chain tensioner is junk...you will spend most of your time putting the chain back on and probably the reason the chain was replaced. I put aftermarket chain tensioner's on both of mine. They are 75 bucks a piece and is probably the single best upgrade for these things. If you find one that "just needs carb work" stay away. the carbs are expensive and there is not a low cost option for a replacement...at least that I have seen. Get one that was used and cared for...I paid around a grand for each of mine about 5 years ago but the prices are climbing. I just sold one for $1300 and expect I will see close to the same for the other as well.
Bought it and put it in the shed until winter. Previous owner was an Arctic Cat mechanic years ago. He showed me the aftermarket chain tensioner he had installed on it and he replaced the chain that was pretty rusty. It fired right up and ran well. I'll have to check those other two areas in the fall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts