Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you guys that run studs, what would be a good number for a 136'' trail.... and possible patterens...

BM...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that studding the out side edge isnt a great idea, for trail running....

BM...

·
Registered
978 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I heard that studding the out side edge isnt a great idea, for trail running....[/b]
It depends on how you ride and if you pay attention to the ground you're riding on. I never had a problem with the studs on the outside but, I didn't beat on my studs in minimal snow conditions either.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
IM running 288 in mine and have not had a problem with the outside lap. I also am cautious as to the terrain and dont
beat it real hard in the trails. A little food for thought though, if all studs are run down the center, it may try to push in the corners.

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wayne from Pontypool @ Jan 31 2007, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am running 108 on a 600TT with lots of traction but I have significantly less HP than you.
I run the "V" pattern below (shows as 96 but that is for a 121 track, =108 on a 136)
[/b]
Exact same pattern on my 1999 ZR 440 Sno Pro. Seems to work well, lifts the skis up while taking off hard.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of 3 or 4 per line and only in the middle... what would be a good pattern for 3 and a pattern for 4...

BM...

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
168 studs down the center belt would be a good number (basically a 144 for a 121" track) I'm not sure on the pattern though. When studs are on the outer edges of the track it will make it sitck more in line while cornering, so if you like a somewhat loose feeling sled keep them down the center IMO. On my 99 ZRT 800 I only ran 96 studs in the V-pattern posted above, while far from ultimate hook-up traction it was enough to help keeping it straight on ice and stopping. Also had over 5500 miles before I eventually tore one out in low snow conditions.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
I have studs on all 4 of our sleds. On the 121 tracks, 144 all in the center belt, 3 per line, staggered.
The F7's have 153 all in the center.
The 144 in the center is better than the old way I used to stud them in all 3 belts.(basic V pattern) That is, I like it better. Stud boy studs work for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
when i had the 121" by 15 inch track on my zrt i had 144 studs and i liked them alot, i got great hook up with them

now i got a ripsaw track so im not running any studs, and i miss them to lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts