Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 15 ZR8000, and it glides right over most bumps. I weigh 175, she weighs 120ish (I don't ask lol)

Her 14 F1100 (na) rides like a honda civic on cheap ebay coilovers, every bump is transmitted right into her butt. I spun down the spring seat/locknut on her front shocks to soften the front end, and the rear torsion spring is set to the lowest setting on that triangular adjuster. I then spun down the spring seat/locknut on the shock in the skid.

What else can I do to make her sled ride more smoothly? Now she's asking to ride mine, and no way. 800 zuke is way more fun :p

Edit: Are there two shocks in the skid?

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
Where are you at on the front skid shock and the couplers? Tight coupling really makes that shock setting important. Loosening can help, but where is it set?

I agree with SteveCZ. Test those things while it's sitting on flat ground. You can tell a lot about shocks just by jumping around on a parked sled. I've seen little teeny riders bottom out blown shocks just like the big boys.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both sleds should have rebuildable shocks. Have you ever had them rebuilt?
Nope, I purchased the F1100 at the end of last season, but the previous owner went through the skid w new bearings. Sled has 6,100 miles, and shocks have NOT been rebuilt, I contacted the previous owner. That said.... a blown shock would result in a SOFTER bouncy ride, not a rock hard one... so I don't think it's that.

Here's what I did: I parked both sleds on level ground, and had her sit on both of them.

Her sled squatted 1.5"
My sled squatted about 1.75"

I then had her hop around, but keep her weight on the sled.

Her sled's rear grab bar moves up and down around 1"

On my sled: A bit over 2" of travel.

So my sled's skid is compressing literally DOUBLE what hers is doing.

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
I wonder if it is possible that big boy springs were installed.
That isn't a whole lot of travel. How tight is the track tension? It can make the skid more harder with a super tight track.

·
Registered
949 Posts
My Wife is a peanut too.
Her ZR6000 El Tigre was a bit stiff for her weight.

Installed softer torsion springs.
-2704-026 Right
-2704-027 Left
Softened center track spring
Softened ski springs
QS3 shocks on setting one. Rides like a Caddy! She loves it.

Your shocks may not be the problem. But at 6500 miles, they're over due for a re-build.
Have them re-built & re-valved for her weight.
That, softer springs, and a little tweaking on the rest, and you're golden.

Money will be spent. Wrenches will be turned. But She's worth it!

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Don't forget this as another possible issue........when the previous owner "went through" the skid........was it reassembled properly and installed in the proper tunnel locations ??
Just something else to check.

And, on a blown shock giving a "softer bouncy ride and not a rock hard one"........not necessarily true. A blown shock can collapse and not recover in time to be able to respond to the next bump.... act like it's packing. This will create a hard ride as the suspension is basically bottomed out and has no usable travel. Even going by what you wrote about the testing on the flat ground......if she can't deflect the suspension enough to actually get past the initial spring rate and into the shock valving, a blown shock may not be evident under these type of testing. Also, when sitting with noone on them....how close are the bumper heights -- both front and rear. Are you certain the previous owner didn't install different torsion springs ?

As I'm writing this....... what's the chance the shocks on YOUR sled are getting weak and that's why your sled is riding softer ???

Another question....... what model is your 15 a SnoPro ? LXR ? Her 14 1100NA is a LXR. This is also another potential variable........

There are many things that can be causing your issues..... first thing I would do is set both sleds up exactly identical ... spring preload, etc and start from there

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're both LXRs. What do you mean by setting 3 on QS3?

It's possible it was assembled wrong, but I kind of doubt it. Dude was a very anal retentive dude, and his day job is an airplane mechanic. He went through it with the intention of keeping it, but then realized his employer is owned by Textron and he gets huge employee discounts on sleds... so... he said yolo and ordered a full mountain sled for super cheap, then swapped a trail skid under it. Everything he owns is pretty spotless, I've been in his garage... so... yeah, it's possible, but knowing that guy, I would bet money everything is spot on. Also has the updated jackshaft.

Right now I'm waiting for it to thaw out in the garage; once the ice is gone I'll measure the OD of the springs on my sled vs hers, and jack hers up to see how tight the track is. I'm guessing it'll be dead nuts on, but I'll report back.

My sled came with a receipt of the shocks being rebuilt a month or two before the guy sold it to me, so they are pretty mint and it rides awesome. It's definitely not a blown shock though... I can go from one to the other, and her sled just feels a LOT firmer, not even driving, but just the spring pressure on the skid.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I don't know **** about couplers, lol. They're... straps, right?

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
Your couplers are the blocks in front of the rear wheels. The rear scissor moves back and down to hit those blocks. They are adjustable by turning them to a different thickness. The term coupler is just like it sounds. They couple the rear arm movement to the front arm. It is possible to have a super soft rear arm setup and a stiff center. The coupler blocks would "couple" the soft arm to the stiff front arm once the scissor hits them. It's a long shot, but I've seen it happen with totally different skid arm set ups. A simple test is to set a large block (six inches) under the back of the skid and compress down on the bumper. It gives you a quick view of your skid when it couples.
The straps are limiter straps. Their length "limits" how far the front arm can extend for full travel. Some riders adjust them shorter to raise the front of their skids before travel. That adjustment will leave a little more down pressure on the skis before the skid start to compress. The adjustment can be tricky for suspension setup because tighter straps limit the length of travel in the front arm.

Reactions: cash68

·
Registered
888 Posts
Front skid spring on your sled is a 90/250 spring your Gf sled is a 135 also the valving in the shock is different. Rear skid spring and shocks , unless changed they are the exact same. Front shocks and springs are the same stock from AC. Check to make sure the track tension is the same on both sleds. also check the front limiter straps on the front arm of the skid to see if they have the upper bolts in the same holes hope this helps.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anything helps man. I am a retard about sleds, I just spin wrenches and try to figure it out. The springs are different between 4 stroke and 2 stroke, si what you are saying, right? But the shock should be the exact same. I will check the limiter straps once the ice melts off. Can't see anything right now. Thank you for your help so far.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Shock in the front of the skid along with the front skid spring are different the rear skid shock and spring are the same the front a-arm shocks and spring are also the same.

·
Registered
949 Posts
They're both LXRs. What do you mean by setting 3 on QS3?
I apologize. QS3 is a Fox Shock used in later years. This does not apply to your F1100.
Would be nice to see a picture of this sled. And a shot of the skid.
I can not find a 2014 F1100. I can find a 2013 XF1000.

Does the rear skid arm look like this?

An image, of the sled & skid, will help solve this riddle.

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
Bare minimum it needs a shock rebuild. It’s time due to age if it has never been done. As taperk600 said. A dead shock will make them act weird

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe end of this season.... can't risk it being out of commission for such a short season in central WI. I'm going to pull it in the garage tonight and see what's what

·
Registered
888 Posts
2014 was a 7000 zr changed the name

I can not find a 2014 F1100. I can find a 2013 XF1000.

Does the rear skid arm look like this?

An image, of the sled & skid, will help solve this riddle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts